PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I had actually never seen them, but I imagined something like a medieval castle with a water wheel powering the old presses or something. I may have a very distorted view of rural England. ?

This strikes me as good news. As someone once mentioned to me.. What would happen if that old 19th century press broke? Got parts or an ability to make them? How about someone capable of doing the repair work? A more modern system may make it easier to keep supply steady into the future. Of course, that's just conjecture.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Who can say, especially in regard to the Lakeland Houses, what ancient tools/machines the are using? This is not bowing to tradition but an absolute intransigence to change.

It has been my misunderstanding that SG has continued to use antique equipment even though it hurt production and in the face of a pipe world clamoring for product.

Yet GH is certainly more forward-thinking, and I can't but help think that the merger of some years past must have brought the thinking of the two together.

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Actually makes me feel better about their stuff. I swear Samuel Gaiwiths snuffs have a gunpowder ghost. Nothing dramatic but once you catch it you can't unnotice it. Made they can get new machinery for their snuff, I mean if GH can update so can they.
Saltpeter (potassium nitrate) used to be a common tobacco additive. It's still commonly used in some countries in food products for various purposes. Maybe the hint of gunpowder aroma is intentional, for that "traditional" flavour.

Oct 7, 2016
Those aren’t the only presses in use at Gawith. They still use a real (you can see the manufacturers name) Legg steam jacket press, for example. Rachel Gawith has posted a picture of that press somewhere or other on social media very recently, and Chris Gawith says it is still in use.

A significant part of the old Samuel Gawith equipment was scrapped because it was duplicative of what Gawith Hoggarth already had, not necessarily because it was any older or less efficient.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
One consideration in altering the production equipment is that the resultant blend may come out differently. The characteristics of an early Industrial Age press is different from modern equipment, and probably different from how it was when new. Not a problem if the processing can be adapted to arrive at a similar result.
Part of the charm of British tobacco blend manufacture is its idiosyncratic nature. It's also part of occasional dismay. German precision it isn't.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
Those aren’t the only presses in use at Gawith. They still use a real (you can see the manufacturers name) Legg steam jacket press, for example. Rachel Gawith has posted a picture of that press somewhere or other on social media very recently, and Chris Gawith says it is still in use.

A significant part of the old Samuel Gawith equipment was scrapped because it was duplicative of what Gawith Hoggarth already had, not necessarily because it was any older or less efficient.
Yeah. There’s no steam in the OP photo.

Oct 7, 2016
Yeah. There’s no steam in the OP photo.
My understanding is that the Legg press (or presses, there could be more than one) they still use have only been modified so that the heat source is natural gas, not coal.

Robert Legg of London was the name of the leading UK manufacturer that was the leading provider of equipment for the tobacco industry. They date back to 1849 and ceased to be an independent company in 1960. DAN tobacco has some old Legg steam jacket presses, but according to the European blogger who seems most familiar with their operations, for cost reasons they are rarely used. I am told that k&k has some, or did have some, to, acquired when they bought McConnell, but that they aren’t used. I haven’t seen enough pictures of Germain’s operations, but it wouldn’t surprise me if they had similar vintage presses.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I read somewhere, that they keep the original machines, because they produce the tobacco like it was originally manufactured, and have only upgraded them, and if they used modern machinery, then the tobacco wouldn’t be the same, as older traditional Gawith.

The tabac is suppose to be how it was back in the late 1800s, because of all the old machinery they use.