PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Through various enthusiasts and retailers, it appears that the Sam Gawith and Gawith & Hoggarth are going to be co-owned.
I've heard that nothing is likely to change, both brands will still be operating with the same staff and machinery, but under one roof. It is not due to happen for several weeks.
Who knows what will happen going forward, but just wanted to spread some news!

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
Do you think so?
I quite like the idea of it - although I could see some blends in future suffering which would be a shame.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Oh dear. I, for one, can't imagine anything good coming out of such a marriage.
Then again, if this move keeps them going under, it's certainly a better outcome.
EDIT: thanks for reporting this, but it would be great to hear the same from either of the Gawiths'.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
EDIT: thanks for reporting this, but it would be great to hear the same from either of the Gawiths'
Agreed.

Anything else is wild speculation. I withdraw my rush to conclusion.
Bad news, to be certain.

yorkshirepipe

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 26, 2012
A retailer here in the UK contacted SG who then confirmed it, whether it will happen or it's just a plan, who knows.

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
If it allows them to reduce their costs, combine their tobacco purchasing, and keeps their blends from suddenly being made in Denmark....I'm happy to see them making the effort to stay independent.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
Glynn Quelch of GQ Tobaccos in UK spoke to Bob (don't know which one - they've both got a Bob!) and posted this on Facebook:
"I can confirm that SG & GH are bringing all production back into one place. The 2 brands will still exist and use their own tobacco, staff and machinery. So from a customers point of view there will be no difference. The only change will be for retailers etc."
The place will be the current (modern) site of GH&Co. and the Kendal Brown House of SG will become a museum.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Very interesting news. In any merger there are winners and losers within the enterprise. I would think saying that all staff will retained is premature at best. consolidations of this nature are usually driven by the efficiencies to be gained and that means cost savings across the board. Employees are the biggest expense in any company so we'll see where this goes.

jarit

Can't Leave
Jul 2, 2013
Thanks for the update, Jimbo.
Actually that doesn't sound too bad. Not "Cadogan-bad". I don't have to cry myself to sleep tonight.

jimbo44

Might Stick Around
Aug 2, 2010
Just sharing space, I believe - there are very few employees at either present firm.
....and Bob (SG) is getting on (sorry, Bob - just joking!).

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Hmmm, I am torn. Half of my favorite tobaccos are Sam Gawith. Even though it is stated that the tobacco, staff and machinery will stay the same, it makes me a bit nervous. On the other hand, if it means they stay the same and stay in production, then I am content. Might be time to stock up a bit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.