PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
To me (And again, I don't have Jim's sensitive palate) Happy Bogie and Brown Irish X are the strongest of the GH ropes I've tried. Next to me would be the Cherry and Coconut - both still brown ropes but the flavoring eludes me personally. Seriously, I'm goobsmacked how they call these aromatics but they are a hair mellower than the Happy Bogie. I suppose the upside for me is that I can't find the one, I can smoke the others without missing anything. Then comes the rum. It definitely smooths out the smoke and takes off any edges. The most mellow I've tried is the Black Sliced. Mellow being relative here. I'd love to try Black Bogie Unscented if I could find it. I'd gladly have anyone of them be a desert island tobacco.

Reactions: karam and shanez

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
To me (And again, I don't have Jim's sensitive palate) Happy Bogie and Brown Irish X are the strongest of the GH ropes I've tried. Next to me would be the Cherry and Coconut - both still brown ropes but the flavoring eludes me personally. Seriously, I'm goobsmacked how they call these aromatics but they are a hair mellower than the Happy Bogie. I suppose the upside for me is that I can't find the one, I can smoke the others without missing anything. Then comes the rum. It definitely smooths out the smoke and takes off any edges. The most mellow I've tried is the Black Sliced. Mellow being relative here. I'd love to try Black Bogie Unscented if I could find it. I'd gladly have anyone of them be a desert island tobacco.

Thanks, that's usefull, now I don't need to try any of the three "above" the rum one. A black xx will be my next venture, pretty sure I'll love even more than the rum twist.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Eh, dunno, I go to flavoured tobaccos with an open mind but my limited experience is that they either hit me on the head with overpowering artificial flavour which I hate (MacBaren vanilla cream was unsmokable for me until I diluted it 2:1 with Wolfway Virginia and Burley) or an idea of a hint of something that I can't put my finger on. Still not sold on flavoured tobaccos, but I do trust the Gawith houses. The next order will be Conniston cut plug, 1792 flake, and SG Black XX.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Great review! Your enthusiastic remarks about smell and smoking really made your words come alive. I think you said you wanted to try the Black. Go for it! Be prepared for a cavalcade of tastes that could be called exotic or just strange.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
lukas', extra strong tobacco can be used to spike mild or medium blends, or to give potent short smokes in small chamber pipes, for example. If you find that rope.

Reactions: BROBS

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
hauntedmyst said:

I'd gladly have anyone of them be a desert island tobacco.

Really? Ultra strong tobacco as your only fare? If it were me, even if I only smoked once a day, I would want something medium, too, like Escudo.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Great review! Your enthusiastic remarks about smell and smoking really made your words come alive. I think you said you wanted to try the Black. Go for it! Be prepared for a cavalcade of tastes that could be called exotic or just strange.

Thanks! Nearly finishing this rope now and stand by what I wrote - I really like it. I've generally managed to target things I know I'll like by comparing reviews and trying to read between the lines of what people of this forum are saying.

I got an order in a few weeks before the covid-19 mayhem, Conniston cut plug, 1792 flake, and SG Black XX, I won't pick them up before the the shitstorm calms down though.

Status
Not open for further replies.