PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I am not a tobacco, or any other kind of reviewer, but I do enjoy the written word.

So a couple of weeks back I was in my beloved UK and picked up my latest order of UK tobaccos which included a couple of sections of G&H's sweet rum twist. I had to open it immediately to touch and smell, and man what a smell.

The presentation:
two shiny bits of rope, pliable but firm and uniform, overall fascinating to look at.

IMG_20200227_193845.jpg

The smell:
It is spicy, very spicy, spicier than any perique I've ever smelled. There's also some sweet and savoury undertone which I can't place my finger on but I know I've smelled before. Maybe similar to an Asian spice, or, and it'll sound odd, maybe a tannery? I appreciate most people won't have ever smelled that, but it's really not as bad as the internet would have you think. My wife who has the nose of a bloodhound said it smells a bit like stale Christmas pudding. That would include the alcohol which this has - but I can't smell.

I cut a few coins as thin as I could, unraveled them and let them dry for about an hour. The smell developed into a much sweeter smell of fruits, possibly figs or raising, altogether not exactly instantly pleasant, but somehow mouthwatering. I should have said here that on my travel back from the UK I'd pull the pouch out every once in a while and get a good sniff, really couldn't get that smell out of my mind!

The smoke
Caught fine, and burnt fine after the char, didn't need but a single relight towards the end, and burned all the way down to a few crispy bits which I threw away. The taste is the spicy, sweet and savoury that it smells of, followed by tobacco. Supposedly Virginia and Burley but it's unlike any VA, Bur or VaBur I've ever smoked. In fact it's unlike anything I've ever smoked period. The taste stays consistent to the end, the first half of the bowl gives more of the spice while the second half gives a lot of tobacco. I know these are supposed to be nicotine monsters but I didn't have any adverse events, didn't get soft around the knees or green around the gills, but I did salivate and need to spit a lot, thankfully I was walking my dog in a wooded park so could do that. I haven't had that with anything else I've ever smoke so that's telling.
This is really filling, it's now more than two hours since I smoked that bowl and the taste is still coating my mouth. It's almost as if I am still smoking it, I get whiffs of that spice and the tobacco firing some taste receptors. I want to smoke it again but I know it won't be today, or tomorrow. Maybe in a few days.

The summary.
This is a GLORIOUS tobacco. It is a brute in terms of strength judging by its lasting effect, but it is quite civilised to smoke. No bite, the pipe didn't get past warm either. Its taste is unique and lasting, and it makes me want to come back for more. I'll definitely be buying more of it, and will try the black rope soon.

P.S. I've never chewed tobacco, but did try snus for some time. I find the taste of tobacco in my mouth revolting, but I did try a tiny piece of this rope. My mouth was on fire pretty fast, this thing packs the N!

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:

Sonorisis

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 24, 2019
I've got a couple of jars of this incubating. I tried some when I first got it and my experience was not as positive as yours. Thanks for the review, I'll give it another try. It's got a little bit of time on it now, so things might be different.

Dec 6, 2019
AL/GA
Nice review. I love those ropes. Now you just need to curl one up on the coffee table and watch what ensues.

I believe the coconut is my favorite. The differences in the flavor are very subtle. They all have that same great funky smell.

Reactions: rushx9

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I can't quite tell if I would like this one or not, but I have no doubt that you thoroughly enjoyed it. It's satisfying to find a blend you like a lot, especially an up-market blend with some bragging rights.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have never had Sweet Rum twist but have ha Rum Twist,it may be the same thing!.
I love it as I do brown bogie scented as well.
I found as you did if dried well it would not need many relights but had a little trouble getting it started.I also have the same problem getting most of G&H Flakes going also.
Thanks for the review

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
@danimalia I haven't had anything else from G&H, will try Bob's chocolate flake over the weekend though which was part of the same order. My understanding is that the flavoured ropes have just a very light topping, I certainly couldn't get any alcohol in mine, but those who like the coconut, cherry and other offerings could chime in.

Jan 8, 2013
P.S. I've never chewed tobacco, but did try snus for some time. I find the taste of tobacco in my mouth revolting, but I did try a tiny piece of this rope. My mouth was on fire pretty fast, this thing packs the N!

Thanks for reading!
I did the same thing after my first smoke. Cut off a chunk and was actually quite pleased with the flavor. I found it to be very sweet. Made me salivate like a rabid dog though. And I got that "extremely high in nicotine" feeling in the back of my throat. I'm no nicotine lightweight, but I'll usually only smoke this in my clay... partly because I'm trying to imagine I'm in the late 1700's and because the clay has a small bowl lol. I keep chocolates nearby just in case.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
Ropes be da shit(or at least look like it)...
KCywEE0.jpg
rotf

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like 'em too. I have chewed the regular Brown No. 4 and it wasn't bad at all. I can see why farmers and miners loved this stuff for its versatility (and formidable strength). Probably wouldn't be chewing on the rum twist on account of me being a recovering drunko. I'd smoke the shit out of it, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.