PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
It’s been a couple years since I bought any tobacco. The last time I did, some of my favorite GH blends were getting hard to find. At that time they were having some sort of of customs issues or something like that.
I’ve been looking to restock some of my favorites but it seems like the situation hasn’t changed much.
Luckily I still have a couple pounds of Scotch Flake squirreled away, but I’m down to the last of a few others.
Any info on the current state of the situation would be appreciated!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I guess GH and SG just aren't geared up to meet demand and are just so-so on distribution. So Lakelands are a special treat as available, and not go-to blends, ever. I enjoy them but never hold my breath.

On the positive side, I give high points for those blenders who take care to meet demand and distribute widely. This shows a respect for and responsiveness to their customer base.

For me this generates a definite loyalty and respect for C&D, D&R, GLP, PS, and Sutliff. You may not like all of those brands, or any of them, but find your own most dependable sources, these or others, and support them.

• Love
Reactions: n_irwin and edger

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I guess GH and SG just aren't geared up to meet demand and are just so-so on distribution. So Lakelands are a special treat as available, and not go-to blends, ever. I enjoy them but never hold my breath.

On the positive side, I give high points for those blenders who take care to meet demand and distribute widely. This shows a respect for and responsiveness to their customer base.

For me this generates a definite loyalty and respect for C&D, D&R, GLP, PS, and Sutliff. You may not like all of those brands, or any of them, but find your own most dependable sources, these or others, and support them.
Your faves are all domestic labels, so no wonder they are more often in stock. G&H services an international market and let's face it, getting things moved internationally has been more difficult in the past few years, plus the general political antipathy toward tobacco products adds to the difficulty in international tobacco trade.

Personally, I find a lot to enjoy from a lot of sources, but I'm not going to dig at a manufacturer because they favor quality over quantity, especially as quality is taking a hit inf a lot of blends from a lot of sources.

Oct 7, 2016
Personally, I find a lot to enjoy from a lot of sources, but I'm not going to dig at a manufacturer because they favor quality over quantity, especially as quality is taking a hit inf a lot of blends from a lot of sources.
GH really isn't that hard to find unless you limit your shopping to Smokingpipes.com, Tobacco pipes.c9m, etc. As mentioned previously, B9swellsis a good source. Watchcitycigar.com gets a big allocation every drop. A true under the radar source is Paylesscigarsandpipes.com

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I dunno, sable'. Hey, UK members, are you getting regular distribution of GH and SG blends? If so, all is forgiven. I thought the Lakelands were always stretched thin for everyone.

Reactions: edger

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk

As stated many many times, we are a very small manufacturing unit in a small town in the north of the UK. We still make many products the same way they were made hundreds of years ago with some very old machinery. We want to keep the traditional approach and concentrate on quality. The export market for us has exploded and whilst we try our best to keep up with demand the production facilities and staff mean this is not always easy. It can take us weeks and weeks just to fulfil a twist order. Plus shipping is a nightmare to arrange and takes a lot of time and planning. Distribution is handled by distributors in each country we send to. We do not distribute to shops outside the UK.

For the UK market we hold a base stock level as we send directly to shops and have reps for the UK. It is a completely different market with its own sales team.

Sure we could just buy in ready cut treated leaf in bulk, spray a bit of flavouring on it and ship it out again and then be able to turn around much much more very quickly.....but this is not how we manufacture or want to.

P.S There is no SG, SG is now a brand of GH.