Gawith Hoggarth Shag Tobaccos -- Impressions?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
Love Dark Bird’s Eye and Kendal Kentucky. Also really enjoy the Kendal Dark. Although Dark Plug and Dark Flake unscented are preferred, it is nice to have Kendal Dark on hand to fill in a small cob for a short smoke that still satisfies the itch for the aforementioned blends when time doesn’t allow

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
For those of you who have aged the Kendal shags, I'm curious what changes you've seen. I've had some Dark Birds Eye tucked away for about a year and a half and at in the jar it's visually no different.

I did get some Kendal Mixture today and tried one bowl. It's excellent though a drop down in fullness from DBE and Kendal Dark.

JohnClyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 8, 2020
UK
How does Kendal Dark compare to Dark Flake unscented? I find the latter a bit too much.

Is KD's dark-fired softened out with virginia more?

Reactions: scottbtdmb

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
How does Kendal Dark compare to Dark Flake unscented? I find the latter a bit too much.

Is KD's dark-fired softened out with virginia more?
Same basic taste profile, as Kendal Dark is merely a shag cut version of Dark Flake unscented. I suppose the main difference is because of the cut, Kendal Dark can burn hot if you’re not careful, but in my experience, they pretty much taste exactly the same.

Sloopjohnbee

Lifer
May 12, 2019
Atlantic Coast USA
Love Dark Bird’s Eye and Kendal Kentucky. Also really enjoy the Kendal Dark. Although Dark Plug and Dark Flake unscented are preferred, it is nice to have Kendal Dark on hand to fill in a small cob for a short smoke that still satisfies the itch for the aforementioned blends when time doesn’t allow
If I were to try real lakelands these are the ones I'd buy - funny how we have similar tastes
Lucky for me I've only touched on Sam's Flake from Gawith and never traversed a real lakeland
don't plan on it either - Turkish Delight in a pipe sounds atrocious
I love dfk and 'amsterdam' blends and I like Tonka like in Bruno blends but that 'essence' word scares the living pants off of me
I'd be better off buying some semois

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Same basic taste profile, as Kendal Dark is merely a shag cut version of Dark Flake unscented. I suppose the main difference is because of the cut, Kendal Dark can burn hot if you’re not careful, but in my experience, they pretty much taste exactly the same.
Dark Shag is 'cold pressed' as opposed to the 'hot pressing' of the Dark Flake. At least, that's what I've always been told. The shag certainly tastes 'less intense' to me.