PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I recently picked up a lb of this stuff based on good reviews. First bowl I hated… second was OK… third… meh. It definitely has a nic hit, but that wasn’t a priority. I wasn’t going to throw it out, so I mixed some of it up with a few aromatics and it has a nice balance. Moral of the story: If you don’t like a blend, just mix it up. You might be surprised.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I have some 100g of it resting in an actual cellar in Greece. It’s a good honest smoke, if a bit monochromatic. I too use it for bumping up the strength of other blends like MacBaren’s Dark Twist Roll Cake, it (Dark Bird’s Eye) is a bit boring on its own.

Mar 1, 2014
I just use it as kindling to get other blends burning, the lack of flavor is one of the primary attractions to Dark Bird's Eye (Come to think of it I've never actually smoked it straight so I can't say for sure how it does taste).

Reactions: STP and kurtbob

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
DBE is pretty good, I love the cut and the straight ahead, no mess around flavor. I take it with me when I'm fishing, since the flavor is strong enough to cover the fish slime that transfers from my fingers and it's easy to light in a headwind.

Reactions: Toast and RobNYC