PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2018
England
There's some old footage of how they manufacture rope tobaccos and snuff here
Yes, I've seen that video before and it's a marvelous look back in time.

The process is probably pretty similar today but I'd still like to see some up to date footage of them making their wonderful plugs, flakes and twists.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
That'd be very good. Presumably the equipment is out being refurbished,
The second, short, video seems like it was in a fire. (Tim?). :)

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
probably because they didn't expect them to be cellared. The way tins are normally made is so that when they're sold they're in good shape. I think they didn't expect the limited editions to sit on store shelves. Where as they do expect their other blends to sit for possibly years on a shelf before being sold. That's my guess. I've read more then a few things over the years that makes me think that the makers of pipe tobacco don't really know much about people cellaringly and aging their tobaccos.

We do not actually produce or seal any tobacco with "cellaring" in mind as this is a new thing that has become a trend in only certain parts of the world. But every single tin leaving the factory is vacuum sealed. BUT we sell tobacco to be smoked and enjoyed, not necessarily to be stored for years. If you wish to do this it is better to store in mason jars.

Last edited:

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
The two videos originally posted were done voluntarily by local historians before we began renovating the old factory, which is being turned into a small shop, museum, will be used for offices for the company and then two apartments above.

There is no massive team behind Gawith's. There is no team that does the social media and youtube channels. It is just me (Rachel) who does all the social media, you tube and other platforms as well as working on other admin, brand awareness and marketing and legal aspect sides of the company.

I am trying to find more videos to add to the channel and will hopefully in the future create more for the channel.

PeterPipersPizza

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2021
Fresno, CA
Thank you for providing that additional information on that video, it's always nice to have insider information. And thank you again for helping produce such an amazing pipe tobacco. I look forward to seeing your YouTube channel grow. I find the production side of this hobby fascinating and am delighted at your response.

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
@gawithhoggarth Rachel, what is your position at Gawith, you’re the PR/Marketing?

Thanks
I am social media marketing, work with the small sales team to help create brand awareness and promotional ideas, some admin, some legal aspects and part owner along with my brother (Chris) and my mum. No official title as such, just whatever needs doing at the time.