PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinsel

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 23, 2015
Hello Pipers. Picked up a tin of GL Pease's Montgomery in my last order. Here's a quick review.
This is a ribbon cut blend of several Virginias and Ky Dark Fired. Moisture content is good, smokeable straight from the tin if you don't mind a few relights. Ribbons are long and stringy, very springy during packing.
The base blend of virginias is very nice. Tangy, fruity, sweet in a fruity way, not in an earthy way (which I really like). The KDF is condimental, not overbearing at all. It adds a really nice harmony to the virginias, giving it more depth and balance. Flavors are very complex, but consistent, stays the same pretty much all the way through the smoke. No bite at all. No acrid or chemical tastes, very clean.
4 stars, I will be buying more of this for sure. I bet with some age on it it's amazing.
Smoked in: Chacom straight billiard, Savinelli roma 646, Dr Grabow grand duke, various MM cobs.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I like it too. For me it's like a cousin of Sixpence.. has an almost savory, hickory smoked tin note.

I usually smoke it in the morning.

tinsel

Oct 23, 2015
I've sorta settled on thinking of it as Telegraph Hill but with KDF instead of Perique :)

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
Good review. I have always liked Montgomery, and would sometimes smoke it on break on Montgomery Street itself where I used to work in San Francisco. It ages beautifully, and I have in my hoard two very swollen tins, one from 2006 and another from 2005.

I must not open them yet...

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
@bluegrassbrian: Hee hee - someday I will pop those old tins - and the heavens will open.
@jpmcwjr: No, I have always used the same St Bruno's tin as an avatar.

stbruno70

Jul 9, 2013
I just checked and since Montgomery was introduced before Feb 15, 2007, it is fortunately not on the FDA endangered list.

Nonetheless, I am adding more to my hoard as we never know how much longer any pipe tobacco will be permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.