PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
The GLP line has a lot of sleeper blends, there are so many that a few get lost in the fray. They are all exemplary, although not every one will suit your taste.

Greg may be the king of Latakia, but I find that outside of his big Latakia blends is where the real magic lies.

My favs:

Chelsea Morning: in the running for my all time favorite. An Oriental forward blend, with zesty (god I hate that word, but no others will do) VAs, a good measure of perique and just enough Latakia to give a smokiness and a bottom end.

Sixpence: A VA/Per/DFK with a liquor topping. Deep and rich, complex.

Regents Flake: VA/Oriental with a touch of perique, sweet and spicy, a perfect compliment to hot black tea. Excellent use of Oriental.

Embarcadero: Va/Or, I find it less sweet than Regents, a heady smoke.

Quiet Nights: Better than Nightcap, a flavor bomb, classic.

Ive enjoyed every GLP blend I've tried, some more than others of course, but I've never had one that I wouldn't consider buying again.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'm a little overwhelmed by all the delicious-sounding choices from G.L. Pease. I have never found reviews to be too helpful, as the actual experience for each person is different, although there are some benchmarks that everyone can agree on. What seems to help me is comparing them to similar tobaccos I have liked.
Can anyone give me some guides on what to get? I'm going to do a 2 oz. sample of sorts and order about 10 blends and see how it goes.
You don't trust reviews, so you come into this forum and ask us for reviews. Okay. Makes perfect sense to me. rotf puffy

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
You don't trust reviews, so you come into this forum and ask us for reviews. Okay. Makes perfect sense to me. rotf puffy
For a less flip answer:
I have been doing something similar with GLP, and do it with other blenders as well. I follow a pretty standard procedure.
  • What sort of blend am I looking for? An easy-going all-day smoke? Flavor bomb? Nic bomb? Do you want to fuss over preparation or not. Define your parameters.
  • Read tin descriptions and eliminate blends that don't fit.
  • Go to Tobaccoreviews.com. I use it enough so that I know there are folks I can trust to give a good description, even if our tastes do not always agree.
  • Finally: Do not ask in here. What you are going to get, 90% of the time, is a list of tobaccos that may be nothing like what you are looking for.
  • Order tobacco.
Hope this helps. puffy

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
My favs:
Fillmore (top 5 blend for me)
Embarcadero
Sixpence
Cairo
Union square

I don’t smoke Latakia blends often, so I haven’t really explored Greg’s Englishes or Balkans but I have no doubt that they are excellent as well.

Pease is one of the best out there.
Cairo is one I was really interested in. Just the name itself makes me want to buy it. I'm hoping it's similar in some ways to some of the other oriental blends I enjoy. I go back and forth during the day between what I want to smoke, and I think some variety in orientals might help me enjoy them more. For example, earlier today I had some Blairgowrie and wanted another pipe later, but I just didn't feel like it due to the spicy aspect of the perique coming out a little too strong. I only really have "Nightcap" on hand at the moment, so I lit that up. It wasn't bad, just wasn't what I was looking for. It's hard building a cellar way out here lol.

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
They all look so good! If I ordered this many though in the 8oz they would be confiscated at customs for sure. So envious of being able to order stateside and have no restrictions lol. I meant to stock up before I left but A. I was low on funds and B. was pretty sure if I came into the airport with 2 suitcases of tobacco I would have been turned around and had them all confiscated lol.

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Well, I'm a smoker, so not everything I do makes sense. I guess if I was living perfectly I would have gone out for a 5 mile run instead of sitting around smoking pipes and cigarettes all day. No one's perfect...

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
Chelsea Morning
Stonehenge Flake
Quite Nights
Windjammer
Gaslight

My favorites are:

Quiet Nights - my hands down favorite English/Balkan

Stonehenge - a great Va/Per in collaboration with Gawith & Hogarth

Westminster- great classic English that is an all day smoke.

Fillmore - great Va/per flake

Haddo’s Delight - a very stout Va/Per/Bur that is an “end of the evening” smoke.
I love those end of the evening smokes. I just had Nightcap and I feel quite relaxed. One thing I found pipes do that cigarettes don't is put me to sleep. It's quite interesting that the same plant treated differently does different thing. About to put the order in now thanks!

Milleniumsmoker

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 9, 2020
Vietnam
I like a number of Pease and Druquer blends, but I'll second the recommendation of Samarra. It's not as big as Levant Mixture, but in a way, more interesting, though only if you pay attention.
that's super helpful, thanks! Levant is one of my all-time favorites, but it would be great to try something similar with a little more nuance. I enjoy mixing up my blends throughout the day, so this would be quite a good recommendation and one I wasn't considering until now.

Ebarber

Can't Leave
Mar 11, 2020
Newark, Ohio
My favorite so far is Windjammer.
I went deep on that one.

I also enjoy:
Jack Knife Plug
Montgomery
Telegraph Hill
Key Largo

I used to really enjoy:
Gas Light
Quiet Nights
Spark Plug
But my tastes have changed on anything with a lot of Latakia in it. So I have a bunch of these in the cellar and I'm hoping my tastes swing back around one of these days.