PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Pease is the next blender I'm going to rabbit hole. Triple Play, Telegraph, and Fillmore seems like a solid intro.

I've had the Bayou Morning in bulk, just a one ounce sample and I think it's great, but this flake is the proper treatment of the blend in my opinion. It takes it from a blend to an experience, not to be too cheesy. The ribbon in bulk is, again, obviously really good if you're into strong VA/Per, but burned really quickly and seemed to be hiding some of the flavor from me according to my comparison one bowl after the other on Saturday, and I smoked the ribbon first. If I were you I'd go straight for the flake, it's quickly becoming my favorite current prod. blend.
as a favor to me try Cairo it's a va oriental

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Cool, wishlisted for later, thanks. Haven't heard of it, sounds tasty!!!
it's awesome. I swear the first time you smoke it it tastes like a really good camel but each time you smoke it there seems like a little more. It's kind of a magic trick of a pipe tobacco. Once you pick up on certain things you're going to be like how in the heck did I miss that. My half bulk purchase disappears in chunks. It's often an all weeker.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
it's awesome. I swear the first time you smoke it it tastes like a really good camel but each time you smoke it there seems like a little more. It's kind of a magic trick of a pipe tobacco. Once you pick up on certain things you're going to be like how in the heck did I miss that. My half bulk purchase disappears in chunks. It's often an all weeker.
Yeah I should also try Cairo. Camels were my cig of choice back when I smoked them. I still enjoy the mixture of Va and Turkish tobaccos. I did not prefer Marlboro cigs, which I think is the reason why I don’t like Carter Hall. The base tobaccos taste very similar, minus the top note.

UncleRasta

Lifer
Sep 26, 2019
Monterey, CA
I,ve now wishlisted that too.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
I'm excited! Camel Wides used to be my smoke, so I'm curious to see how my pallete handles that general flavor profile after not smoking cigarettes for over a year.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
Yeah I should also try Cairo. Camels were my cig of choice back when I smoked them. I still enjoy the mixture of Va and Turkish tobaccos. I did not prefer Marlboro cigs, which I think is the reason why I don’t like Carter Hall. The base tobaccos taste very similar, minus the top note.
Ya know, I never liked Malboros either, except the Southern Cut/No. 27. My smokes were Camel Wide Red and American Spirit Black, or Paul Mall Nonfiltered/Lucky Strike Nonfiltered on occasion. I don't like Carter Hall either, or many predominately burley blends for that matter. I really dig how C&D uses cube cut burley, but I don't really like it typically as a full on base for a blend.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Ya know, I never liked Malboros either, except the Southern Cut/No. 27. My smokes were Camel Wide Red and American Spirit Black, or Paul Mall Nonfiltered/Lucky Strike Nonfiltered on occasion. I don't like Carter Hall either, or many predominately burley blends for that matter. I really dig how C&D uses cube cut burley, but I don't really like it typically as a full on base for a blend.
Someday, when I become an adult, I will explore more burley blends besides what is OTC. Until then, I will smoke Va Flakes and VA/Pers with the cool kids.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
Have you had Spark Plug? It's wonderful, and very much a full-Balkan style to my tastes. Kensington is a great medium-Balkan blend, and Charing Cross is similar to Kensington, but fuller in Latakia.
Spark Plug is delicious, but makes my boogers really dark because I'm constantly retrohaling it.
Pease makes some of my favorite Balkan blends. Westminster has to be the smoothest smoke I have come across. Spark Plug is amazingly good. It is the richest Latakia blend that I have ever tried. The sweetness and depth.....mmmm.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
Pease makes some of my favorite Balkan blends. Westminster has to be the smoothest smoke I have come across. Spark Plug is amazingly good. It is the richest Latakia blend that I have ever tried. The sweetness and depth.....mmmm.
The depth is surprising to me every time I light it up! It seems like it would just be a full on oral and nasal assault of latakia on paper, but it never ceases to captivate!

Mark 0092

Might Stick Around
Jan 9, 2021
Zug
Great info, thanks! Definitely going to pick up some Fillmore- great name, too. After the old Auditoriums? Would've loved to catch some early '70's Fillmore West shows.

Thanks for the advice. Until I'm better at picking up nuances, I'm firmly in the stout-as-possible blends camp. My all-day is Bayou Night. I'll save Telegraph for when I outgrow my savage zealousy for perique powered sinus abuse.
Telegraphill is like a good, sweet boy while bayou morning more mature, stronger, more decisive ... different to compare them ... I recommend chenet's cake from cornell ... I'm cellar tobacco ... fabulous .. ..

Icona di Verificata con community

Status
Not open for further replies.