PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
G.L. Pease, thank you for Telegraph Hill.
With all the Va/per blends and flakes out there, Telegraph Hill is the one perfect blend.
I enjoy it fresh, but it is divine when aged.
The tin note entices me with notes of dried fruit and the room note is slightly acrid in all the right ways.
The exact mixture of VA leaf, perique, and casing: there is not one thing I would change.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I like it, too. I had a jar I'd forgotten about and broke it out last week. It's not very long-aged, just 18 months or so, but I had a wonderful bowl last week. One of those charmed smokes where every puff is delightful and interesting.

Really, I have enjoyed all the Fog City blends I've had so far. Just got a tin of Laurel Heights the other day, excited to try it.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Telegraph Hill is set to be my first Pease purchase next time I stock up. How does it compare to Bayou Morning Flake, my current go-to VA/Per, anyone know? Currently smoking a bowl and I can't imagine a better tasting/performing VA/Per.
I haven't actually had Bayou Morning Flake, but I believe Fillmore is the more comparable blend to it, given the higher perique content and strength than is found in Telegraph Hill. I think both blends are excellent. I choose Fillmore when I want something with more body and strength. I'd choose Telegraph if I wanted something a bit sweeter or to ruminate about all the different nuances and flavors possible with VA leaf. Fillmore is also a flake, so it smokes considerably slower than Telegraph with is kind of a ribbon.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
I haven't actually had Bayou Morning Flake, but I believe Fillmore is the more comparable blend to it, given the higher perique content and strength than is found in Telegraph Hill. I think both blends are excellent. I choose Fillmore when I want something with more body and strength. I'd choose Telegraph if I wanted something a bit sweeter or to ruminate about all the different nuances and flavors possible with VA leaf. Fillmore is also a flake, so it smokes considerably slower than Telegraph with is kind of a ribbon.
Great info, thanks! Definitely going to pick up some Fillmore- great name, too. After the old Auditoriums? Would've loved to catch some early '70's Fillmore West shows.

Thanks for the advice. Until I'm better at picking up nuances, I'm firmly in the stout-as-possible blends camp. My all-day is Bayou Night. I'll save Telegraph for when I outgrow my savage zealousy for perique powered sinus abuse.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
Yeah, being a Bay Area guy, I like the Fillmore name and venue too. Wish I'd been around to see its heyday.

I definitely think you should try both. Also, Triple Play is excellent, too. It is stouter in nicotine than either Fillmore or Telegraph, I think, but I am not sure if the perique content is higher than in Fillmore or not.

Have you had the non-flake form of Bayou Morning? Thinking about adding a few ounces of bulk, or a tin of the flake, to my next order and was curious how the different cuts compare.

Cucamonga95

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 5, 2020
Northern VT
Yeah, being a Bay Area guy, I like the Fillmore name and venue too. Wish I'd been around to see its heyday.

I definitely think you should try both. Also, Triple Play is excellent, too. It is stouter in nicotine than either Fillmore or Telegraph, I think, but I am not sure if the perique content is higher than in Fillmore or not.

Have you had the non-flake form of Bayou Morning? Thinking about adding a few ounces of bulk, or a tin of the flake, to my next order and was curious how the different cuts compare.
Pease is the next blender I'm going to rabbit hole. Triple Play, Telegraph, and Fillmore seems like a solid intro.

I've had the Bayou Morning in bulk, just a one ounce sample and I think it's great, but this flake is the proper treatment of the blend in my opinion. It takes it from a blend to an experience, not to be too cheesy. The ribbon in bulk is, again, obviously really good if you're into strong VA/Per, but burned really quickly and seemed to be hiding some of the flavor from me according to my comparison one bowl after the other on Saturday, and I smoked the ribbon first. If I were you I'd go straight for the flake, it's quickly becoming my favorite current prod. blend.

BrokenRecord

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2020
PNW, US
So
Telegraph Hill is set to be my first Pease purchase next time I stock up. How does it compare to Bayou Morning Flake, my current go-to VA/Per, anyone know? Currently smoking a bowl and I can't imagine a better tasting/performing VA/Per.
I had a tin Bayou Morning Flake a few years ago and I agree with what others have written here about it. Telegraph Hill is sweeter with more hints of dried fruit. What surprised me most about Telegraph Hill is that I cannot stop buying it, even though I like trying every VA flake I can get my hands on. I have smoked more of Telegraph Hill than any other tobacco. I wish it came in 16oz Tins like Westminster.

Status
Not open for further replies.