PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
I enjoyed the perique in H&H Frenchy's Sunzabitches, the nutty flavor in ole shenandoah, and want a thick, stout smoke. About to move off trying aromatics and am looking to try something from GLP after reading around. This seemed the place to ask.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Haddos Delight, Piccadilly, Gaslight, Sextant, Barbary Coast, these are the only Pease blends I've tried. I have more in the cellar waiting. I love all the blends I mentioned. They stand out for me as some of the finest tobaccos that I have tried. Piccadilly was a blend that I wanted to try because it was similar to C&D Buffalo Soldier. Having tried it, I liked c&d Buffalo Soldier better.

rhoadsie

Can't Leave
Dec 24, 2013
Virginia, USA
@Tyler: This seems like a good time to partake in the October tobacco crawl with G.L. Pease and four of his blends...Sixpence, Jackknife plug, Sextant and Quiet nights. :puffpipe:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It all depends on what you like. Imo Pease' best blends live in the margins and Key Largo is a classic example.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
BP-

What does living in the margins mean?
Tyler-

I second the notion to join—or at least read— the Crawl. Sixpence nicely fills the OP's search inherent in his question!

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
Outside of classic styles or in between styles; i.e. hybrids. In retrospect I was a wee bit opaque.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
I think Chelsea Morning will give you what you're looking for. It's a light English blend, very tasty but not at all heavy. Greg calls it a Breakfast Blend and I would second that characterization. I smoke that and Piccadilly (VA/per) early in the day. Navigator is also quite good but decidedly stronger in its flavors.

blackbeard

Sep 13, 2015
I am limited on money and have plans for next purchase, room for one more when I can. Will make a note of them. Thanks.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Triple Play was an immediate hit with me. Trouble is, I smoked right through the tin in a week or two. The constituent leaf and the proportions are so well done. Hard to beat.

bulldogbriar89

Oct 3, 2014
My 3 favorite G.L Pease blends are tripleplay, jackknife, then Cumberland. All his blend are good though

Mar 1, 2014
I'm still on a Latakia binge so for me it's Quiet Nights and Gaslight.

Some day I'll get around to Charring Cross, Odyssey, Meridian and Westminster, but all have been highly reviewed.

uncleblackie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 20, 2014
Frozenchurchwarden, if you're binging on Quiet Nights and Gaslight, I'd recommend Odyssey and Westminster next. Haven't tried Meridian yet but Charing Cross, while good, was just slightly lacking in the richness that I get with the four previously mentioned blends.

Mar 1, 2014
Thanks Uncle.

After your recommendation I think I'm going to go straight to Meridian. Opinions arond this blend seem as varied as the components. It's not a Lat-bomb but anything with flavor out the wazoo should be a good smoke for me, this one sounds like it could go either way.

One reviewer, after initially not liking it, wrote "Meridian- Medium Latakia, creamy bacon Oriental flavor". If anything is worth a shot in the dark, and maybe a bit of time in the cellar, this would be it.

Mar 1, 2014
I can definitely appreciate that Greg is a career blender and at the top of his game, but it's still mostly the Lat-bombs that move me.

Which is maybe a little sad to say given how much effort does go into the other blends. Maybe in five or ten years I'll come around to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.