PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
WOW WOW WOW!!! I have been meaning to try Key Largo for some time now because I enjoy mostly every G.L. Pease tobacco that I try and because I appreciate both pipes and cigars. When I first opened the tin, I was expecting to smell cigar leaf and was disappointed when I smelled the Latakia more than anything. I figured that it would, at the very least, be another wonderful G.L. Pease Latakia blend. I was pleasantly proven absolutely wrong as soon as flame hit leaf. A rich luxuriant, creamy cocoa, espresso, maduro cigar like mouthful of smoke brought a smile to my face and a certain weakness to my knees. The Latakia adds a pleasant leathary earthiness and just a whisp of smokiness beneath the cocoa and espresso making the whole thing smoke like a very luxuriant maduro cigar. The middle of the bowl shows a bit more Latakia on the leather, earth and smoke side of things, but the cocoa and espresso come back in the finish. The bowl finishes like a cigar in that it gets stronger in flavour, but it does not get harsh like a cigar. I recommend drying this flake out for 3 hrs or so before smoking and to slowly sip when smoking...no worries, even the smallest sip produces a thick creamy mouthfull of rich luxuriant smoke. Lights and burns very well, tastes of cocoa, espresso, leather, earth and a bit of smoke, mouth feel is very oily and rich, and the whole thing has an underlying deep dark tobacco sweetness causing it to smoke very similar to high quality Maduro Cigars. I commend you Greg...this is truly a tobacco masterpiece.

hugh

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
I've got a few tins of cigar blends waiting to be cracked open. What's the ghosting like with these sorts of blends?

thomasw

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 5, 2016
Excellent break down on this complex & scrumptious blend. FWIW, I don't find Key Largo to ghost my pipes, but I do smoke it in my english-blend pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.