PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Several years ago I tried JKP, didn't like it, and sold/traded what I had on hand. Recently I thought I'd try it again as I like the plug tobacco format and my taste preferences have been evolving. So I purchased a tin to try.

On opening, the aroma was pretty enticing and I thought this will be good. Uncovering the tobacco revealed 2 blocks of tobacco and a fair amount of loose stuff (this as a 2 oz tin). The largest block comprised about 65% of the total, the smaller block about 20%, with the remainder being loose tobacco. The loose stuff looked like crumbled individual leaves like you’d get if you crumbled a dead tree leaf in your hand. Disappointed as I was expecting something resembling 3P or Salty Dog plugs, which is how I remember the JKP plug of several years ago.

Looking over the blocks it seemed that they at best only had a passing acquaintance with the press. Both blocks were delaminating, that is sheets of tobacco were coming off in individual layers. Cutting the blocks into flakes was not possible due to the degradation of the integrity of the plug as the layers fell apart under the knife. Really different from 3P which I can obtain almost paper-thin flakes. Cube cutting was not an option, so I rubbed it out prior to packing. Another thing I noted was there was a lot of stem material, about half the bowls I prepared needed to have stem material picked out, some that were thick enough to impede packing.

So how did it smoke? I don’t have the discerning palate of some on this board but my overall impression was harsh with mild to moderate tongue bite. The flavor changed throughout the smoke, it was never a melded flavor. The changes were not consistent bowl to bowl, they seemed random. I suspect that’s from the individual component tobaccos being revealed during the smoke, perhaps this is a result of the delamination mentioned above. I’d characterize the nic hit as medium, though I’m not particularly nic tolerant so YMMV. Took a few attempts to get it started, though this improved a few days after opening the tin. Relights toward the bottom of the bowl were required, smoking to the bottom with little or no dottle or moisture.

In the end, it wasn’t bad, just not what was expected and, I did finish the tin; however, it goes on my do not buy again list. In this genre I prefer ODF.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have an unopened tin of Jack Knife ready-rubbed. Just to review, it is a blend of dark fired Kentucky and ripe red Virginia. After your review, I am hoping the blend comes off better when it is "digested" into a ribbon cut. I'm getting just a hint of a bulge in the tin's top, so that may be good. If I have the same "it isn't bad" reaction, maybe I can mix it with some burley and see if that picks up its game. When it was introduced some years ago, it was given rave reviews.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I smoked a plug of jackknife not so long ago and liked it quite a lot. For me it’s one of those blends that seems simple and straightforward at first smoke but as I smoked more bowls under different circumstances i realized it had a lot of nuance. And while the darker more brittle layers did flake away a bit I had little trouble slicing it thin (with a sharp carbon steel knife). I liked the nicotine levels, too. Very nice tobacco in my book

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
I actually like JKP. In fact, I had another 8oz tin show up today…and it was made a year ago, so, that’s an infrequent thing for me but already sat for a year. So, got them jarred up and ready to work way through. Likely take a while as I like a variety of blends. But, next couple 8 oz tin orders will get shelved. I figure capping at 2 lbs of that blend outta do it for a while if I keep restocking 8oz when finish the last of another.

Anyway, I have not had anywhere near the terrible experiences it sounds like others are having cutting the plugs. I can go paper thin or much thicker with zero issues. Sometimes I don’t cut straight, but not the tobacco’s fault. I do prefer it rather thin to rub out so it’s closer to a shag cut as it works better for my buds that way. So, tried different things and that’s the best way for me. I recommend using a sharper knife. I know, you think your knife is sharp…but, if it doesn’t shave the hair off your knuckles in one pass, it’s not sharp.

Everyone has their own experience, but I wanted to at least share some love for the blend as I really enjoy it and the experience of the prep. Not sure I’d enjoy the prep part if I didn’t know I enjoyed what was coming.

So, I’ll leave with a photo of the two of the blends I jarred up today. They go straight into the smoke next portion of the cellar. Future acquisitions remain canned. Can’t wait for tomorrow’s mail…HaHa!

50D37AC4-7772-4815-9925-6C7BC98B34EF.jpeg

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
The loose stuff looked like crumbled individual leaves like you’d get if you crumbled a dead tree leaf in your hand. Disappointed as I was expecting something resembling 3P or Salty Dog plugs, which is how I remember the JKP plug of several years ago.

Looking over the blocks it seemed that they at best only had a passing acquaintance with the press. Both blocks were delaminating, that is sheets of tobacco were coming off in individual layers. Cutting the blocks into flakes was not possible due to the degradation of the integrity of the plug as the layers fell apart under the knife. Really different from 3P which I can obtain almost paper-thin flakes. Cube cutting was not an option, so I rubbed it out prior to packing. Another thing I noted was there was a lot of stem material, about half the bowls I prepared needed to have stem material picked out, some that were thick enough to impede packing.

So how did it smoke? I don’t have the discerning palate of some on this board but my overall impression was harsh with mild to moderate tongue bite. The flavor changed throughout the smoke, it was never a melded flavor. The changes were not consistent bowl to bowl, they seemed random. I suspect that’s from the individual component tobaccos being revealed during the smoke, perhaps this is a result of the delamination mentioned above.
I echo what you say 100%. It is a Jackknife Stack of Tobacco Leaves, not a plug.

I found it dried my mouth, physically, and taste-wise it was very weak for me. Honestly I was very disappointed because in terms of descriptions it should be right where my tastes are, but over time I've had exactly two C&D tobaccos I would spend money on again (Byzantium, Bayou Morning Flake) and none from GLP.
In this genre I prefer ODF.
Not even same ballpark in my opinion, even in terms of structure, C&D seems unable to make proper flakes, and taste wise it is light years more intense, chewy and tasty for me.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
C&D seems unable to make proper flakes
For a while, I thought I was the only one who didn't get on well with C&D offerings. Though I haven't sampled all of their offerings I haven't found a blend that I'd cellar and a few that are on the do not smoke list. I think I have some OJK somewhere, it seems to have quite a few followers maybe that will be the exception for me.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
For a while, I thought I was the only one who didn't get on well with C&D offerings. Though I haven't sampled all of their offerings I haven't found a blend that I'd cellar and a few that are on the do not smoke list. I think I have some OJK somewhere, it seems to have quite a few followers maybe that will be the exception for me.
I meant that literally, their flakes are more broken flakes than what I’d think of as flakes. I have tried maybe 15 C&D/GLP blends and just two make the cut for me.