PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
I have for some time been curious about G. L Pease's VaPer blends. I am a big fan of his VaOr blends, including Cairo and Embarcadero, but I had not tried any of his VaPers. So, last fall when I was placing an order from Watch City (for either Rouxgaroux or Simply Voriental, I don't remember which), I tossed a couple of notable Pease VaPers in the cart, Fillmore and Haddo's Delight.

Now, one of the things that I like about ordering tins from a retailer that doesn't move stock quite as fast as SP.com is that often you'll end up with a tin that already has some age on it, and in this case, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a tin of Fillmore dated 9/27/18. Both the Haddo's and the Fillmore, however, were to take backseat to the plethora of seasonal holiday blends that were released in November and December, so both tins went into the cellar. Earlier this week, I decided to pop the Fillmore, and it's all I've smoked since then, which is extremely rare for me as I usually jump from blend to blend, and rarely smoke a single blend for more than a couple of bowls in a row. This is, however a highly compelling blend. Here are my thoughts after finishing about half the tin:

Tin opening: The tin has bulged a bit in the 2.5 years since being filled, never a bad sign! Opening the tin reveals the typical broken flake of a C and D produced blend, with quite a bit of sugar crystallization, again, never a bad sign! The tin note is really fantastic! Sweet, somewhat spicy, just plain delicious. I smell aromas of smoked peaches and over-ripe plums, along with a strongly figgy, slightly peppery presence from the Perique. There is also the unmistakable slightly smoky presence of Latakia, which is not mentioned in Pease's description of the blend, but is confirmed by reading some of the reviews of this blend on TR.com. This all combines to add a slightly smoky, very sweet BBQ sauce aroma to the mix. In short, a very complex tin note that really had me anticipating what it would taste like in the pipe.

First light: The first impression is one of sweet, bready, dark fruit VA, along with a tingly, slighly peppery presence from the Perique. The Latakia can't really be tasted, but definitely adds some bassy richness to the blend that, to paraphrase Walter Sobchak from the Big Lebowski, "really ties the blend together."

The remainder of the bowl is remarkably consistent, although very complex. The fantastic, and very rich Virginias, and the somewhat peppery, figgy Perique is present in every puff. The overall effect is sweet, very slightly smoky, and tangy spice. It burns down to a fine ash no matter how moist it is when it goes in the pipe. The nic hit shows up about halfway through the bowl and is just the other side of medium, a perfect strength for this type of blend, in my opinion. I've experimented with various dry times, and this blend is an anomaly for me; a VaPer blend that seems to be more flavorful and richer when it's a little more damp. Drying to just this side of crispy, which brings out more flavor in most Va/VaPers, seems to render this blend a little flat to my tastes, losing some of the richness and thick mouth-feel that makes it great. It's smokable straight out of the tin, but smokes a bit wet in that state. I found that a brief dry time of 10-20 minutes is about perfect.
In the last few minutes of the bowl, the perique fades away a bit, and I am left with pure bready, fruity sweetness for the last 10 minutes or so. Fantastic! I've smoked this in various shaped briars, and the flavors seem to be consistent in all shapes of pipes.

So, in short, a very successful venture into Pease's VaPer blends. This one has already moved to my top 10 list of VaPers, and I'd imagine that more age will only make it better. It's definitely worth cellaring. I've now ordered Sixpence and Windjammer, and in the future I will make it a point to try Telegraph Hill and Penny Farthing as well. The tin I have of Haddo's is not as old, so it'll be a few more months until that is opened. If this is any indication, Pease is a master of VaPers!

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Fillmore is fantastic! An interesting note about it is that it lists Latakia as an ingredient on TR.com but it is not listed as an ingredient on SP.com. The mention of Latakia is what made me avoid it for so long. I would bet it doesn't have any.

Haddos is a regular in my rotation year round but especially in the warmer months.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Great review! Thanks! Just had my first taste of Embarcadero today (‘07). Where would you put the strength/flavor of Fillmore in relation? Really enjoyed Embarcadero but would love a bit...more.
Fillmore is a stronger and richer smoke than Embarcadero in every way. However, it doesn’t have the sour spice from the orientals that Embarcadero has. I’d say they are pretty different smokes but both excellent in their own right.
Fillmore is fantastic! An interesting note about it is that it lists Latakia as an ingredient on TR.com but it is not listed as an ingredient on SP.com. The mention of Latakia is what made me avoid it for so long. I would bet it doesn't have any.

Haddos is a regular in my rotation year round but especially in the warmer months.
I would bet a small sum that there is some Latakia in there. There’s a smokiness to the tin note that to me is unmistakably Latakia like (it’s certainly not dark fired). I think there’s a very small amount in there, and even though it’s barely perceptible, I also think it adds another dimension to the smoke that couldn’t be provided by the Va or Perique.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
When I first smoked Fillmore I liked it but didn't reach back often so eventually put it in the jar and let it sit. Just two weeks ago (and about two years later) I opened the jar on a whim and tasted every flavor you described above. Today was my last bowlful and was good. Great review and would recommend as well!

Aomalley27

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 8, 2021
Chicagoland area
Well stated review. Even though I’m not a big fan of VaPers, Pease just has a way of blending that melds flavors so well.
Of all his blends, Cairo is the only one I don’t care for/can’t stomach.
Filmore has a subdued Perique not overdone which often happens (especially in VaPers) in Perique blends.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Great review! Thanks! Just had my first taste of Embarcadero today (‘07). Where would you put the strength/flavor of Fillmore in relation? Really enjoyed Embarcadero but would love a bit...more.
I consider them sister blends. Both have a similar base of Red VA, but different condimental tobaccos. Fillmore is stronger in nicotine, and probably flavor as well, IMO. Both are spicy, but in different ways. More cooking spices from Embarcadero, and more pepper spice in Fillmore. I like them both and think they're different enough to justify keeping tins of each on hand. I think you should Fillmore a try, and Triple Play, too, if you want something with even more strength.

I have for some time been curious about G. L Pease's VaPer blends. I am a big fan of his VaOr blends, including Cairo and Embarcadero, but I had not tried any of his VaPers. So, last fall when I was placing an order from Watch City (for either Rouxgaroux or Simply Voriental, I don't remember which), I tossed a couple of notable Pease VaPers in the cart, Fillmore and Haddo's Delight.

Now, one of the things that I like about ordering tins from a retailer that doesn't move stock quite as fast as SP.com is that often you'll end up with a tin that already has some age on it, and in this case, I was pleasantly surprised to receive a tin of Fillmore dated 9/27/18. Both the Haddo's and the Fillmore, however, were to take backseat to the plethora of seasonal holiday blends that were released in November and December, so both tins went into the cellar. Earlier this week, I decided to pop the Fillmore, and it's all I've smoked since then, which is extremely rare for me as I usually jump from blend to blend, and rarely smoke a single blend for more than a couple of bowls in a row. This is, however a highly compelling blend. Here are my thoughts after finishing about half the tin:

Tin opening: The tin has bulged a bit in the 2.5 years since being filled, never a bad sign! Opening the tin reveals the typical broken flake of a C and D produced blend, with quite a bit of sugar crystallization, again, never a bad sign! The tin note is really fantastic! Sweet, somewhat spicy, just plain delicious. I smell aromas of smoked peaches and over-ripe plums, along with a strongly figgy, slightly peppery presence from the Perique. There is also the unmistakable slightly smoky presence of Latakia, which is not mentioned in Pease's description of the blend, but is confirmed by reading some of the reviews of this blend on TR.com. This all combines to add a slightly smoky, very sweet BBQ sauce aroma to the mix. In short, a very complex tin note that really had me anticipating what it would taste like in the pipe.

First light: The first impression is one of sweet, bready, dark fruit VA, along with a tingly, slighly peppery presence from the Perique. The Latakia can't really be tasted, but definitely adds some bassy richness to the blend that, to paraphrase Walter Sobchak from the Big Lebowski, "really ties the blend together."

The remainder of the bowl is remarkably consistent, although very complex. The fantastic, and very rich Virginias, and the somewhat peppery, figgy Perique is present in every puff. The overall effect is sweet, very slightly smoky, and tangy spice. It burns down to a fine ash no matter how moist it is when it goes in the pipe. The nic hit shows up about halfway through the bowl and is just the other side of medium, a perfect strength for this type of blend, in my opinion. I've experimented with various dry times, and this blend is an anomaly for me; a VaPer blend that seems to be more flavorful and richer when it's a little more damp. Drying to just this side of crispy, which brings out more flavor in most Va/VaPers, seems to render this blend a little flat to my tastes, losing some of the richness and thick mouth-feel that makes it great. It's smokable straight out of the tin, but smokes a bit wet in that state. I found that a brief dry time of 10-20 minutes is about perfect.
In the last few minutes of the bowl, the perique fades away a bit, and I am left with pure bready, fruity sweetness for the last 10 minutes or so. Fantastic! I've smoked this in various shaped briars, and the flavors seem to be consistent in all shapes of pipes.

So, in short, a very successful venture into Pease's VaPer blends. This one has already moved to my top 10 list of VaPers, and I'd imagine that more age will only make it better. It's definitely worth cellaring. I've now ordered Sixpence and Windjammer, and in the future I will make it a point to try Telegraph Hill and Penny Farthing as well. The tin I have of Haddo's is not as old, so it'll be a few more months until that is opened. If this is any indication, Pease is a master of VaPers!
Nice review! I've had multiple tins and I think I may have gotten a very slight hint of Latakia once. I think you'd have to be a supertaster who really hates Latakia for it to be a turnoff. Pease has mentioned that people would be surprised at how some of the most famous and beloved VAs have used a tiny amount of Latakia in them. I wish he'd name names and slaughter some sacred cows, but I'm just kind of a dick like that. ?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Adding a smidge of latakia to a VA blend is said to enhance it. I think it's common. Enhance in what way is a question I can't answer.

Some years ago blenders started adding a very small amount of burley to blends that had been considered straight VAs, such as those made by Rattray, for the same enhancing reason.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Update: A little more than two weeks later, I've finished the tin, and all of my tasting notes stand. Great blend! I will now be awaiting the next GL Pease sale so I can stock up on this to cellar.

Reactions: ofafeather
Status
Not open for further replies.