PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

renholder

Lurker
Jul 14, 2012
Blend Name: Embarcadero
Description on Tin: Rich, ripe red virginias are combined with top-grade Izmir leaf, pressed and aged in cakes, then sliced into flakes and tinned. The result is a wonderfully fragrant, natural blend with subdued sweetness, more "brut" than "demi-sec", delightful toasty flavors, and hints of nuttiness and roasted coffee. Satisfying and refreshing; a comforting smoke, with enough complexity to keep it interesting
Taste: This blend is a meaty blend! The flavors are very well pronounced and bring forward a smokey meaty roast flavor. Sometimes I taste steak, other times a roast, and still there is room for the smoked meats on the table. I’ve heard people describe the flavors as fruity, but there is nothing fruity about this carnivore’s wet dream. This is a delicious blend with tons of flavor. A bit strong though, even for those looking for a fight. If you want to enjoy it on the milder side, rub it out real well, and it calms down, a pleasant cocoa flavor even comes into play when smoked slowly this way.

Tin AromaUnlike its flavor, the tin smells of cocoa and coffee. I was completely thrown off when I lit this blend up.
Smokability: The blend lights well, but has a tendency to go out. I’ve begun to master keeping this blend lit, but it takes a little work. Luckily there is little to no tongue bite present, so feel free to puff away. Also, I have found the best way to smoke this is to rub it out and let it dry for a bit beforehand. It’s not overly moist, but this blend smokes better on the drier side.
Room Note: Smokey and pleasant. The seems to make a bit of an appearance
Recommend to: People who enjoy full-flavored blends, meat lovers, and anyone looking for a challenge or a change of pace.
Summary: This blend was a slipper cell. I was expecting a sweet, maybe even a chocolaty blend, but from the first light, I was hit with an onslaught of smokiness and meatiness. The blend is almost over powering at first, but rise to the occasion and you will be rewarded.

The first few times I smoked it, I just packed the sliced cake without rubbing it out, this delivers the most flavor and packs the most punch. Rubbing this blend out really tames the beast, but no matter what, the flavors in this blend are very intriguing and work together to deliver quite the experience.
My Background: I've been smoking for a bit over two years, and have tried all different kinds of aromatics, non-aromatic/virginia's, and english blends. I have a preference for english, and shy away from aromatics.
I really enjoy reviewing tobacco, and would love to hear back about what I can improve on and what you like about them. Thanks for reading! This is also my first post in this forum, despite lurking it for quite a while. I traditionally do independent reviews for a different forum, so this time I decided to cross-post something to here and see what you all thought of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.