G. L. Pease blends - PG & Chemical Free?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

D&R blends were also free of humectants, and most were uncased. But, now that they were sold to a cheap ass cigarette company, I can’t be sure.

Many of C&D’s blends are certainly free of humectants also. You might ask Jeremy for some recommendations based in things you like. He is definitely a personable guy. Hell, if he’ll talk to me, he will talk to anyone.

I read in a recent post by Gawith on a thread about their tin machine that they PG there stuff, which disappointed me tremendously.

But, you sound like a prime candidate to try growing tobacco. I do, and it makes me realize that some of the shit some of these companies put in their tobaccos is totally unnecessary. However, GLP is one that you can trust doesn’t just put something in his blends willy nilly.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
D&R used very minimal humectant/antifungal/antimold but they did have it on there. I think it's fair that everything has something even if it's in smaller amounts than others. If I recall, Mark Ryan stated you lower your mold chances under 15% moisture content (which they just stayed under) but out of general precaution they did still add some to be sure. It's been almost 4 years now so my memory might be al little hazy on the number, but I think my memory on that holds correct.

D&R used very minimal humectant/antifungal/antimold but they did have it on there. I think it's fair that everything has something even if it's in smaller amounts than others. If I recall, Mark Ryan stated you lower your mold chances under 15% moisture content (which they just stayed under) but out of general precaution they did still add some to be sure. It's been almost 4 years now so my memory might be al little hazy on the number, but I think my memory on that holds correct.
Water, they just steamed their tobaccos. It dries really easy. Mark mentioned this on the radioshow, and he would talk about it in his lectures at La Poche.

Just selling dry tobacco or drier tobacco makes it totally unnecessary to add fake stuff. But, when folks would get D&R blends, they were so used to sopping wet chemical laden blends that guys were confused by natural tobacco ready to smoke.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
Water, they just steamed their tobaccos. It dries really easy. Mark mentioned this on the radioshow, and he would talk about it in his lectures at La Poche.

Just selling dry tobacco or drier tobacco makes it totally unnecessary to add fake stuff. But, when folks would get D&R blends, they were so used to sopping wet chemical laden blends that guys were confused by natural tobacco ready to smoke.
I'm a fan of the D&R dryness, I just still have a lasting impression that he told me they do add a little antimicrobial when I was there in 2019 even though they targeted a 15% moisture content or so. It could be an incorrect memory, but it's still a memory I have in my visit to the factory in NC.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Vincent Manil, is certainly the opposite side of the spectrum with his blends all crispy dry, certainly no PG there.

Also, on his site he says;

we guarantee you a natural tobacco

I'm a fan of the D&R dryness, I just still have a lasting impression that he told me they do add a little antimicrobial when I was there in 2019 even though they targeted a 15% moisture content or so. It could be an incorrect memory, but it's still a memory I have in my visit to the factory in NC.
I don’t 100% trust my memory, but damned if I don’t remember him saying something about just water on the radioshow… especially. But, I could be wrong. It has been a handful if years…

Reactions: fireground_piper

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’ll put this here. If I am mistaken I would appreciate being corrected.

It’s my understanding that WLT sources their whole leaf from the same supplier as that of C&D/GLP. This doesn’t mean you’re gonna get the same taste or variety from whole leaf, but it gives you a good indication of the starting product.

Honestly I’m smoking some natural (no added sugar) cavendish I made from VA Gold 2 years ago. It is the best cavendish I have smoked in my life. I wish I had committed to making pounds of it rather than just a couple of oz.

Even the experience of playing with whole leaf will increase your understanding and appreciation of the commercial blends you enjoy. It will also help hone in on the specific acidity problems you find with some Virginia blends. Whether it’s processing or blending pH balances.

I think it’s like $80-100 for a 5lb sampler box or something.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
On second thought, I could easily see some of D&Rs aromatic blends having a tad bit of PG. Even C&D has a few goopy ones as well. I forget about aromatics when we discuss these blends.

But, who knows about D&R now…
I bought a pound bag of Rowland Gold I think last year....definitely post-sell...and it is different from my tin pre-sell. So there's that and that blend had a very light cocoa topping.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Just got my TAD drop in the mail tonight, G.L. Pease Telegraph Hill in the bunch, so really looking forward to some PG free tobacco. :)

B8FF0046-C08A-49B7-AAD1-B67A15A2EBCB.jpeg

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Glad to see you’re still buying those single oz bags. 🥳

What ya mean?

Yeah, it’s really nice when you can buy small amounts like this to try, so you don’t have to spend a lot on a tin, for something you might not like.

But, I had to pull the plug on the Pease and Former, they sounded good, hope I like them.

Aloha 🤙

Reactions: OSOBUCO and Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
What ya mean?

Yeah, it’s really nice when you can buy small amounts like this to try, so you don’t have to spend a lot on a tin, for something you might not like.

But, I had to pull the plug on the Pease and Former, they sounded good, hope I like them.

Aloha 🤙
I just remembered the WCC thread from the other year that’s all.

✌🏼

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Didn’t you ring WCC asking for 1oz samples and you got the Boston nice treatment
Ahh yes, that... LOL 😆

Yeah, they’re Boston nice, just takes a bit to know them!👍

Yes WCC if you read this, thank you kindly for your business!

I actually look at the site every week too see what’s there to buy.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

colt54

Lurker
Jan 14, 2023
hi forum so is it better to buy bulk tobacco rather then in a pouch or can? was just wondering.