PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Normally I would not bother but this whole Kendal Dark Kendal Kentucky and and Kendal Dark Bird'seye all being the same or being reduced to one blend thing came up again in another thread. Sounds to me like a shipping mix up, can we please get a confirmation or is this just another rumor? I love all three and would hate to see any of them go.

@gawithhoggarth

Reactions: canucklehead

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Thanks, did further research as I have all three and they are quite different but they have been sitting in jars for quite a while Kendal Dark is my favorite I use the shags for RYO must be why they sell well over here? Guess I'm glad I have what I got, would have been nice to know this in advance, would have grabbed a few big bags of each.

(edit)

So am I reading it right that you can still get Kentucky and the Bird'seye but in Vintage Cut? so you will still have 3 distinct blends?

Last edited:

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
Do these blends have Lakeland scent/flavoring? I've seen a lot of conflicting accounts - some people say they do, some say they don't. I've considered trying some of them but floral flavorings do not appeal to me at all. Geranium and the like makes me slightly queasy.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Do these blends have Lakeland scent/flavoring? I've seen a lot of conflicting accounts - some people say they do, some say they don't. I've considered trying some of them but floral flavorings do not appeal to me at all. Geranium and the like makes me slightly queasy.
From my experience the blends aren’t sauced/scented, but depending on your sensitivity to scents and the strength of the sauce used in other blends, you maybe able to pick up on the factory aroma.

They are just good honest tobacco.

If you like the blends and are feeling adventurous, maybe try 1792. It’s a stout Lakeland’s tobacco with tonquin flavouring (think vanilla as opposed to flowers). They also produce other scented/sauced blends which are not geranium forward, for instance something like Grousemoor is lemongrass, though to me tastes like apricot jam

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
From my experience the blends aren’t sauced/scented, but depending on your sensitivity to scents and the strength of the sauce used in other blends, you maybe able to pick up on the factory aroma.

They are just good honest tobacco.

If you like the blends and are feeling adventurous, maybe try 1792. It’s a stout Lakeland’s tobacco with tonquin flavouring (think vanilla as opposed to flowers). They also produce other scented/sauced blends which are not geranium forward, for instance something like Grousemoor is lemongrass, though to me tastes like apricot jam
Thanks for the reply. I could probably handle tonquin or milder florals like rose, just trying to avoid anything with geranium. I do like lemongrass so that one sounds interesting.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Thanks for the reply. I could probably handle tonquin or milder florals like rose, just trying to avoid anything with geranium. I do like lemongrass so that one sounds interesting.
If you like rose, and have access to spray free roses, dry a couple of petals and put them in the chamber with a Virginia blend. Not gonna be life changing but kinda fun.

While you’re looking at the darker Kendal offerings, dark plug is great, as is dark flake unscented - that being said, the dark flake scented is one of my favourite 😍

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
If you like rose, and have access to spray free roses, dry a couple of petals and put them in the chamber with a Virginia blend. Not gonna be life changing but kinda fun.

While you’re looking at the darker Kendal offerings, dark plug is great, as is dark flake unscented - that being said, the dark flake scented is one of my favourite 😍
I'm on a dark fired kick right now and have been itching to try more blends with that being the dominant component. I decided to pick up an ounce each of Dark Bird's Eye and Dark Flake Unscented (which some people say still has a mild Lakeland scent to it despite the name). Gonna give those a try and maybe branch out from there.

One lightly floral blend that I liked when I was first starting out was Sutliff Count Pulaski. Va/Bur with a pinch of Latakia and an anise and rosewater essence. It reminded me of rose incense. Nice blend that flies under the radar and is a bit hard to find for a Sutliff. I usually prefer more stout tobacco, but don't mind something a little bit lighter and more "cultured" every now and then. Thanks for the recommendations.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
One lightly floral blend that I liked when I was first starting out was Sutliff Count Pulaski. Va/Bur with a pinch of Latakia and an anise and rosewater essence.
First I've heard of that. It was once listed as having Rose of Latakia "Syrian" but I've not seen listed or tasted florals in it.