PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

slowpuffer

Might Stick Around
Apr 9, 2012
I'm sure that many folks on this site have tried this blend and it has more than likely been reviewed before. However, I have come to enjoy it so much that I feel compelled to give my own quick review of it.
I purchase this blend in bulk. In the pouch, it has a sweet aroma and I can pick out the scent of semi-sweet chocolate and a little smokiness from the Latakia. In bulk, it is a broken flake and has a nice moisture content. I smoke my tobaccos a bit drier than normal and let it air out for about 5 minutes before packing it in a nice wide bowl. It lights easily and the first flavor to hit the front of my tongue is the sweetness of the Virginias in this blend. I stop puffing for a moment to check out the room note and find that it possesses a very sweet floral scent, not unlike many of G&H's other offerings. I find the aroma very pleasant. After only a couple of minutes the flavor becomes savory. It reminds me of a good cup of coffee. It is semi-sweet with the intermingling of the Virginias and the toppings. I seem to be tasting a bit of the floral note as well which makes it more pleasant. Supposedly, this blend possesses very little Burley, but I distinctly taste the flavor of Burley, to me it tastes of almonds and cedar. The flavor is consistent throughout the bowl and it becomes more enjoyable to me as I sip the smoke out of my pipe. My palate does not seem to pick out the small amount of Latakia in the mixture. The tobacco burns very well, although I prefer to smoke slowly and relight more often than most smokers. After a little over an hour I stir the grey ash in my pipe bowl and find that there is no tobacco left to be smoked.
I highly recommend this blend because I haven't found any blend that is like it. It has a nice, deep complexity and is more savory than sweet. I also love the fact that it has a wonderful aroma which is just as enjoyable to the smoker as it is to his company. I particularly enjoy this with a cup of good coffee. For those that do not like Latakia, I would not let the small presence of that leaf in this blend deter you.

bubblehead33

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 17, 2012
Canada
thanks for the review slowpuffer. i just ordered 2 oz. of this in bulk, so now im really excited for it to arrive haha

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
@cortezattic
I am not a lat guy, but I do enjoy bobs chocolate, there is nothing quite like it

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Well done Slowpuffer... Like you I enjoy this blend with coffee, but then again I enjoy just about any blend with a cup of joe. If you like red wine give it a try with Bob's Chocolate Flake sometime. I think the tannin in a bold red brings out the chocalate overtone of the blend.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I love Bob's Chocolate Flake!
Here's a review that Bob Tate did on it -
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-tobacco-reviews/gawith-hoggarth-co-bobs-chocolate-flake-pipe-tobacco-review/
I think Adam is working on a review of it right now

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
IO had about 5 ounces and they are missing at the moment, Ill have to find them soon, im getting a hankering...

Status
Not open for further replies.