PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwg116

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 21, 2017
I agree. It’s always been a tough flake to enjoy. I cellared a few 250g boxes in 2012 and the flakes have turned almost a jet black. Haven’t touched any since then, will open a jar this week and see if I can discover the magic of FVG.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I agree. It’s always been a tough flake to enjoy. I cellared a few 250g boxes in 2012 and the flakes have turned almost a jet black. Haven’t touched any since then, will open a jar this week and see if I can discover the magic of FVG.
Make sure you give us an update of that 8 year old flake once you smoke it. Yummmmm

• Love
Reactions: BROBS and kwg116

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
My experience with FVF is that it needs WAY more than a year of time, and it needs WAY more than overnight for drying. Further, it benefits from fully rubbing it out before putting it in the pipe.
I picked up a tin of FVF last night locally because my neighbor recently got me interested in straight Virginia via Capstan Blue. I pulled a flake out and let it dry for a couple hours, rubbed it out, and tried to smoke it. It was still a pain to light and keep lit and was really meh overall. The Capstan Blue is way more tasty right out of a fresh tin. My thought was that the FVF tinned on 7/15/2019 probably needs both more aging time and more drying time. I left a partial flake out to dry overnight/for a couple days to verify that part, but I suspect that the rest of this tobacco will stay jarred and then revisited again at a much later date. I was really looking forward to the FVF, but was pretty disappointed with it on the first go. Guess I'll stick with Capstan for now unless there are other recommendations for available straight Virginia blends.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I picked up a tin of FVF last night locally because my neighbor recently got me interested in straight Virginia via Capstan Blue. I pulled a flake out and let it dry for a couple hours,

I don't think it has to do with the tin not being cellared. Even fresh from Gawith you should be able to get a good smoke from FVF, but two hours drying time is not enough. Rub it out completely and then dry it overnight, maybe longer. If you leave it in flake form your drying time could take many days and if your house is humid, even longer. If it's still rubbery then it's too wet. Capstan is a cakewalk compared to FVF, which is famous for being a pain in the neck. Even so, if you make the effort to prepare it right it will give you a good smoke.

lightmybriar

Lifer
Mar 11, 2014
I picked up a tin of FVF last night locally because my neighbor recently got me interested in straight Virginia via Capstan Blue. I pulled a flake out and let it dry for a couple hours, rubbed it out, and tried to smoke it. It was still a pain to light and keep lit and was really meh overall. The Capstan Blue is way more tasty right out of a fresh tin. My thought was that the FVF tinned on 7/15/2019 probably needs both more aging time and more drying time. I left a partial flake out to dry overnight/for a couple days to verify that part, but I suspect that the rest of this tobacco will stay jarred and then revisited again at a much later date. I was really looking forward to the FVF, but was pretty disappointed with it on the first go. Guess I'll stick with Capstan for now unless there are other recommendations for available straight Virginia blends.
Union Square is a good next step from Capstan!

Reactions: gervais

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I have a tin of orlik golden sliced that Im curious to try for comparison but think i will let that sit for a few more years as well.

After 2 years of pipe smoking I feel like i am settling into my likes and dislikes and I think I generally am not a big fan of virginias when they are more than a background in a blend. Try as I might I dont really care for elizabethan or old gowrie for example. Both taste too cigaretty to me. Escudo has been an exception - a vaper that i’ve enjoyed, and to some extent telegraph hill.

I have liked every light to medium english and balkan I have tried - i find the latakia mellows it out and orientals add some nice flavor. I’ve also enjoyed burley blends.

One of the pleasures of this hobby is exploring and learning likes and dislikes

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I have a tin of orlik golden sliced that Im curious to try for comparison but think i will let that sit for a few more years as well.

After 2 years of pipe smoking I feel like i am settling into my likes and dislikes and I think I generally am not a big fan of virginias when they are more than a background in a blend. Try as I might I dont really care for elizabethan or old gowrie for example. Both taste too cigaretty to me. Escudo has been an exception - a vaper that i’ve enjoyed, and to some extent telegraph hill.

I have liked every light to medium english and balkan I have tried - i find the latakia mellows it out and orientals add some nice flavor. I’ve also enjoyed burley blends.

One of the pleasures of this hobby is exploring and learning likes and dislikes

OGS and FVF are not the last bit similar to my taste buds.

Oct 7, 2016
I don't think it has to do with the tin not being cellared. Even fresh from Gawith you should be able to get a good smoke from FVF, but two hours drying time is not enough. Rub it out completely and then dry it overnight, maybe longer. If you leave it in flake form your drying time could take many days and if your house is humid, even longer. If it's still rubbery then it's too wet. Capstan is a cakewalk compared to FVF, which is famous for being a pain in the neck. Even so, if you make the effort to prepare it right it will give you a good smoke.

This. In spades. True, for me, of most Gawith/SG flakes, not just FVF. I can get what I consider a good smoke from FVF, but I still prefer Best Brown to it.

lightxmyfire

Can't Leave
Jun 17, 2019
DMV Area
I've had very similar experiences with certain blends and came to the same conclusion that what a lot of guys have said is true, tastes vary, and sometimes there can be something from a specific blending house that doesn't agree with you despite the blend itself fitting a category that you enjoy.

I love me some FVF, though I agree it does take a lot of drying and YMMV depending on your climate. I like to dry mine down fully rubbed out to right before its "crispy" still a little soft but not sticking together.

Given my enjoyment of FVF and OGS, I assumed I would also really enjoy Mac Baren's HH Pure VA, so far I can't get that one. It's got; like you were describing, a cigarette-like flavor and an acidic like burn to it that I don't like, I've found this in varying levels in other Mac Baren tobaccos I've tried, and wonder if there is something they use across their blends or a specific leaf that they use that just doesn't agree with my palet.
I'm currently giving them some time to hang in the jars and trying them again after a year or so to see if that flavor has mellowed or altogether left. If it doesn't I'll accept that the Mac isn't for me and likely just trade-off my remaining Mac's, no harm no foul, I got to learn a thing about my own tastes and about how tobaccos are processed by different blenders and how that effects the outcome for each person individually, pretty cool!

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I found FVF to be classic SG quality, but underwhelming after all the hype. Far from a magical moment of zen clarity, I struggled to find much of anything in the flavor, aroma, or body of smoke to make me want to go looking for more. Much to my surprise, I found BBF delivered a much more flavorful and enjoyable experience. My brain was flooded with positive comparisons to favorite foods and comforting aromas.
OGS is great but completely dissimilar(sweeter, more red VA, touch of Perique, light fruity orangey topping).
Capstan Blue seems somewhere in between BBF and FVF and is somewhat less complex than either, but a bit sweeter and just easy to enjoy.
Wessex Bridge Campaign Dark Flake is the biggest shock of all. I expected it to be very similar to FVF, but what I tasted was considerably more sweet, silky, and flavorful. I'd describe it as what FVF wishes it was... or at least what I wish it was. Unfortunately it's nearly as difficult to find.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Newminster 400

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I found FVF to be classic SG quality, but underwhelming after all the hype. Far from a magical moment of zen clarity, I struggled to find much of anything in the flavor, aroma, or body of smoke to make me want to go looking for more. Much to my surprise, I found BBF delivered a much more flavorful and enjoyable experience. My brain was flooded with positive comparisons to favorite foods and comforting aromas.
OGS is great but completely dissimilar(sweeter, more red VA, touch of Perique, light fruity orangey topping).
Capstan Blue seems somewhere in between BBF and FVF and is somewhat less complex than either, but a bit sweeter and just easy to enjoy.
Wessex Bridge Campaign Dark Flake is the biggest shock of all. I expected it to be very similar to FVF, but what I tasted was considerably more sweet, silky, and flavorful. I'd describe it as what FVF wishes it was... or at least what I wish it was. Unfortunately it's nearly as difficult to find.
Absolutely agree with all this.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
I found FVF to be classic SG quality, but underwhelming after all the hype.

The forbidden secret of pipe smoking is that no blend ever lives up to it's hype. McClelland doesn't. Esoterica doesn't Gawith doesn't. Butera doesn't. Lowly Captain Black doesn't. I've never had Balken Sobranie but I'm certain it doesn't either. It's always a disappointment when you finally get to try some famous blend and it's nothing like you've read. It happens every single time but we never learn. The best thing you can do is just take every blend at face value. Put aside any Jiminks reviews you've read and just smoke the stuff and see what you can make out of it. You might find something to enjoy in it once you give up hope it's going to be amazing.

Incidentally, Astley's 44 is a dark flake similar to the Wesex you like. It might work for you. (Not hyping it mind you) puffy

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
Thanks, that was my first suspicion. I already have the other half of a flake rubbed out and drying from last night. It's in the basement at 45-50% humidity. I plan to try it on Wednesday. Will report back.

logs

Lifer
Apr 28, 2019
View attachment 32667
Y'all didnt know they put Sherlock on the label 'cause that's who you feel like, searching for flavor or clues as to why this blend is so popular. :sher:

I've come to enjoy it but like you the first time I tried it was a catastrophe.
Truthfully, I'd rather reach for Peterson/Dunhill Flake, Capstan, or Opening Night and just save myself the headaches that always comes with Gawith. But when I'm in the mood I'll pull some out.

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
I started enjoying FVF once I figured out that I had been overdrying it. 45 minutes does the trick usually. But yeah, it's fussy and not always worth the hassle to me. But once in a while, man oh man....

Reactions: BROBS and logs
Status
Not open for further replies.