PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
I picked up some Full Virginia Plug a while ago and was expecting the worst with regards to getting it lit, but it has been relatively easy.

I just shave off thin slices from the plug and then cut it into tiny cubes with a chef's knife, sort of how you would cut up garlic. I end the P with very small cubes of maybe 1-1.5mm. I then let it dry for 30-45 minutes.

I put a pipe cleaner in the shank all the way into the bowl and I load the largest cubes first to prevent clogging the draft hole. I then gravity feed the rest of the bowl, give it a little tap and a gentle tamp and off we go. There are a few relights, but no more than usual.

It is such an amazing smoke. It would be worth it even if it was harder to light.

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
The difficulty of FVF is overrated, as some posters imply.
It comes as thick flakes that are quite moist. Compared to another great virginia, Capstan Blue Flake, that comes as thin, moderately moist flakes, it should be no surprise that FVF needs more drying time.
The thick flakes can be hard to rub out when they have dried out, so I rub mine first, then dry. After that it's load and go as with any other blend, putting the finest rubbed bits on top as kindling.
When you find out how to prepare it, it burns as well as any flake on the market, if not better.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"The thick flakes can be hard to rub out when they have dried out so I rub mine first, then dry. "

This is very true. When I used to buy it in bulk (250g boxes) I would rub out the entire box then jar it up for maturation. After a while I got lazy and just jarred up the extra long flakes still in their Ziploc bags knowing that when it came time to open the jars, it would still be moist enough to rub out.

Regards,

Jay.

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
"The thick flakes can be hard to rub out when they have dried out so I rub mine first, then dry. "

This is very true. When I used to buy it in bulk (250g boxes) I would rub out the entire box then jar it up for maturation. After a while I got lazy and just jarred up the extra long flakes still in their Ziploc bags knowing that when it came time to open the jars, it would still be moist enough to rub out.

Regards,

Jay.
Exactly. SG & GH can stay in their boxes for a looong time.

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
Best luck I had was to dry for maybe a half hour, rub out, pack & smoke. It almost smoked like a normal non-SG flake (i.e.: very well). I believe the outside air was fairly dry (30ish RH) and the moon was in the seventh house while Jupiter aligned with Mars.

I have read a number of reviews from people saying the tin moisture was near optimal, which was the philosophy I went on when I tried the above. Haven't had it since as I'm scared to jinx it.

Status
Not open for further replies.