PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Yadkin1765

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 28, 2022
Maine
I don't really have much to say about this flake in way of a review (except two thumbs skyward), but I put forth a few notes on my experience and thoughts:

I rubbed out about half a flake and sequestered it for about a day in an empty tin to let it breath and off-gas some of its moisture, then let it air dry for around 20 minutes before packing the bowl. Was reasonably moist, but more so, I would call the leaf tender in the most natural of terms, not wet.

Took multiple relights to get the bowl really going, but once there, I don't think it would be as hard to get going again. Easy to smoke. Hard to mess up. The taste really comes through from the very first char. Sweet, strong, pure tobacco flavor. Right on the money. De-li-cious.

Now, here's my impression, an impression that I couldn't shake from the get go. This stuff has been well doused in grade A tobacco juice condensate. Not an uncommon practice once upon a time, and I've heard tell of its use in pipe blends elsewhere. That's the flavor I get, along side the VA leaf. And the feel of it's nicotine hit suggests the same.

That is all.

And now for something completely different...

Reactions: briarbuck

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
There was a time when finding this blend was very difficult, I’m talking almost Stonehaven difficult. Well once I finally scored a couple tins and smoke a few bowls, I just couldn’t understand what all of the fuss was about. My problem turned out to not be the tobacco, but my preparation and cadence. So after a couple years and me learning a thing or two my experience has totally changed. I’ve learned to slow down and allow the blend to dry some before lighting up. I now often pack a pipe the night before I intend to smoke it. This may not work for everyone, but I’m now enjoying well aged tins regularly.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
There was a time when finding this blend was very difficult, I’m talking almost Stonehaven difficult. Well once I finally scored a couple tins and smoke a few bowls, I just couldn’t understand what all of the fuss was about. My problem turned out to not be the tobacco, but my preparation and cadence. So after a couple years and me learning a thing or two my experience has totally changed. I’ve learned to slow down and allow the blend to dry some before lighting up. I now often pack a pipe the night before I intend to smoke it. This may not work for everyone, but I’m now enjoying well aged tins regularly.
Agree with this. For me, it's hard to get this flake dialed in. Properly prepared and smoked, it's terrific. Otherwise, it's an average smoke and not worth the trouble. I recently ordered and jarred the plug version.

Reactions: Puff nstuff

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
IMO, this flake has to be dried a bit and once brought to a decent moisture level, must be smoked slowly. I consider a few relights par for the course. I get a sweet herbal tea flavor from this flake that I cannot replicate elsewhere. Maybe not the most complex, but oh so tasty.

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
When it was scarce around 10 months ago or so I went ahead and dumped a bit too much money on an aged box but I must say even as a novice it was a wake-up smoke as to what a Va could be if properly produced and prepared. So when it's available from now on I'm nabbing it.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
This is one of the best straight VAs out there, particularly once one figures out how to dry and smoke it.

If you get a chance try some with some age (I recommend 5-7 yrs at least). The flakes get very very dark, almost jet black, and the richness and smoothness is amplified.

I dunno about Gawith using some sort of "nicotine/tobacco juice" on this. I get a mild to medium nic hit, so for me it's not that strong. It would seem to me that if they were using cigarette nic juice it would be stronger than that.

Architeuthis

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 17, 2021
Yup. This one is a sit down smoke for me. There are other blends that I can smoke and enjoy while up and about on my feet. This is not one. As others have said, once you figure out how to prepare it and then take the time to sip on it slowly, it is top shelf stuff.

Reactions: vosBghos

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
I like it, but don’t love it. My open tin is 12 years old, and I have 3 more that are 10 y/o. I will enjoy them thoroughly, but I’m not stocking up on more now and I won’t lament it when it’s gone.