Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
Crayola black washable marker on the parts that aren't dark enough. See if it will stick if you leave it on a bit. Could use a sharpie if that didn't work. Could also tape off below the black/fumed part, cork the chamber and get a can of spray stain. I have colored in a chip area showing briar,on a black sandblasted pipe, with a sharpie before so the color matched. But with a castello that old, I would think leaving it alone may be the best idea.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Crayola black washable marker on the parts that aren't dark enough. See if it will stick if you leave it on a bit. Could use a sharpie if that didn't work. Could also tape off below the black/fumed part, cork the chamber and get a can of spray stain. I have colored in a chip area showing briar,on a black sandblasted pipe, with a sharpie before so the color matched. But with a castello that old, I would think leaving it alone may be the best idea.
Hello and thank you for the suggestions. I always prefer a most careful approach , it is an older pipe and it otherwise looks great. A sharpie I sometimes use for staining repairs , or indeed a chipped area.
Could a cotton tip with some diluted black stain work ? It is a "shell briar" kind of finish.

When not yet dry the surplus can be wiped off.
Perhaps best leave it alone.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Photo police on you too. :)

You can use some dark stain and buff it or rub it to look more consistent with what was done at the factory. However, I would leave it, your pics look fine to me. It will darken some more and most likely fill in any bare spots. I love these fumed tops because I get another 15 mins of smoke. I am anti rim char so pack my bowls below the rim. Great pipes imo.

Reactions: orlandofurioso

tzinc

Can't Leave
Mar 24, 2021
Toronto
I love fume because you don't have to worry about keeping the rims clean. I have 2 Castellos: an old sea rock poker 87 and a old antiquarian 55 with fume. I also have a Neerup pot made in that style.

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
I use Fiebing's Leather Dye - Alcohol Based. Each container comes with an applicator. $7 bucks on Amazon for a 4 oz bottle. I have every shade of brown available, as well as black. If it were me, I would dip the black dye applicator in the dye and then dab on a throw-away rag so the applicator is just moderately wet. Apply where desired and then wipe the pipe down lightly and use a blow dryer or heat gun to dry. Then take your chosen shade of brown and take the same approach with the brown dye applicator. You can apply brown to the pipe avoiding the black area, but getting very close. Wipe the pipe down and then use a rag slightly dampened with rubbing alcohol to blend the 2 areas. Once you are pleased with the end result, apply carnuba wax with a heat gun to the entire stummel... then wipe the pipe down while the wax is still wet.

Reactions: orlandofurioso
Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
I use Fiebing's Leather Dye - Alcohol Based. Each container comes with an applicator. $7 bucks on Amazon for a 4 oz bottle. I have every shade of brown available, as well as black. If it were me, I would dip the black dye applicator in the dye and then dab on a throw-away rag so the applicator is just moderately wet. Apply where desired and then wipe the pipe down lightly and use a blow dryer or heat gun to dry. Then take your chosen shade of brown and take the same approach with the brown dye applicator. You can apply brown to the pipe avoiding the black area, but getting very close. Wipe the pipe down and then use a rag slightly dampened with rubbing alcohol to blend the 2 areas. Once you are pleased with the end result, apply carnuba wax with a heat gun to the entire stummel... then wipe the pipe down while the wax is still wet.
How do you apply carnauba wax with a heat gun ?

Humblepipe

Lifer
Sep 13, 2019
Guerneville, CA
Take the heat gun in one hand, the bar of wax in the other... an edge of the wax-bar furthest away for your hand, but touching the pipe. Heat gun on and aimed directly where wax touches pipe. Move the wax-bar around until the entire pipe has a light coat. Some of the wax may clump/dry while your coating other parts of the pipe. No worries, when the entire pipe has a light coat, put the wax down and hit the pipe with the heat gun all over until wax is liquified. Wipe down immediately with a clean rag. This will set the color in and make the pipe look rich in color... should last for a while too.