PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I'm getting increasingly frustrated with the smokingpipes advertisements on our site. They frequently show the most gorgeous pipes on their "updates" banner. Following the link, however, is a classic "bait and switch".

Today for example there is a great looking AKB meerschaum cutty shown - follow the link - about 400 meers, none of which resemble the one shown. "Fresh estates" - never the pipe in the ad.

Aaargh!

Obviously keeping the ads current with the website content is a challenge, but they are generally very good at what they do. What's up with this?

Reactions: Laurent
Nov 4, 2022
Hi, everyone. I'm the Community Manager at Smokingpipes and hopefully, I can shed some light on this question. Your intuition is correct. Since many pipes that we carry are one-of-a-kind or are in limited inventory, there's always the chance that pipes featured in ads or on social media will have been purchased or are simply out-of-stock at any given time. The thumbnails you see here are from our most current update and reflected our inventory at the time the ads were run. But since we follow a "the pipe you see is the pipe you get" approach, there's always the chance that individual pipes were already purchased. Hope this helps!

Elric

Lifer
Sep 19, 2019
Liplapper Lane (Michigan)
tobaccocellar.com
Hi, everyone. I'm the Community Manager at Smokingpipes and hopefully, I can shed some light on this question. Your intuition is correct. Since many pipes that we carry are one-of-a-kind or are in limited inventory, there's always the chance that pipes featured in ads or on social media will have been purchased or are simply out-of-stock at any given time. The thumbnails you see here are from our most current update and reflected our inventory at the time the ads were run. But since we follow a "the pipe you see is the pipe you get" approach, there's always the chance that individual pipes were already purchased. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the prompt and informative reply, David!

Laurent

Lifer
Dec 25, 2021
Michigan
The only problem I have with the ads is, it makes me go to the website and buy more pipes. Genius way of stealing my money.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I've had that experience, but never gave it much thought. SP is so prompt and accurate with orders and has gone out of its way to encourage my purchases in the past, I just go to see what they have on hand. Their site is not just maintained day-to-day, but pretty much hour-to-hour. It's about as good as it gets. The immediate response on this original post illustrates the point.

originalnutcracker

Can't Leave
Feb 26, 2018
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Dave - thank you for the quick reply. I would echo the comments above regarding your service, i.e. your service is awesome - as reflected in my "silver status" (aka I spend too much) on your website! It's a serious first world problem when you can't get what you covet!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I can't remember the last time I wanted a pipe and it wasn't there for purchase. Now granted almost all the pipes I bought from SP were all estate pipes I rarely bought a new pipe from them as the deals for estates were much better.

Sp has been a go to source for tobacco and pipes and pipe supplies and lighters and pipe cleaners for 20 or so years and never once was I disappointed.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I'm thankful to SP for the sponsor $ and the great service every time I buy from them. It only took one or two times for me to figure out the pipes shown in the ads may not be available on the site. Not a big deal. The cost to have an IT guy monitor the site and update the thumbnail images constantly would be prohibitive.
Seconded! “Bravo Zulu” SP! 😃

Reactions: Fralphog

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
sometimes it's annoying. Especially when it's a very unique pipe and you're just curious about how much it costs. Though I'd say it's certainly not a bait and switch. It's a product that they have at least very recently had. If an ad says we have 100 televisions and the store does, doesn't make it a bait and switch when it runs out. Same thing except on a smaller scale. Maybe because I have pretty basic classic taste in pipes they usually have something similar enough in my opinion.