PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Whenever I hear fruitcake I immediately think of the Jim Gaffigan cake skit.
"You'd think it'd be good. I mean fruit good, cake great, fruitcake nasty crap. I don't even think there's real fruit in there. You're like what is this, a Skittle? What is the recipe of fruitcake, anything but fruit? It's like the baker was just cleaning off the counter, 'Just put all of this crap in here. Nobody eats this stuff they just mail it to relatives.'"

My Aunt Gabby makes a peach fruit cake that she saturates in alcohol (Brandy?) and ages for one year before she serves it. A thin slice warmed with a scoop of freshly made ice cream after a ham dinner. Fruit cakes are like wine and a fine Virginia, they get better with age, as the alcohol does something to the sugars, but it's mind blowing. I am not that keen on the candied cherries in some fruit cakes but peaches... mmmm mmmmm, I'm drooling just thinking about it.
Sorry, you had issues with the company, Brad. Maybe I can get my Aunt Gabby to start a business. I wonder if fruit cake companies have to get a liquor license?

okiescout

Lifer
Jan 27, 2013
My paternal grandmother was first generation German. She was an amazing cook. Her baking took 2nd to no one. She taught my mother, as my father's young bride, how to cook and bake. My mother in turn taught her 3 sons as well as her daughter the secrets of the kitchen.
My mother has since passed and I bake my dad her fruitcake recipe for enjoying at Christmas.
Baking a fruitcake is the most simple of all cakes. It is a manual effort because of folding the batter with the fruit. I think anyone who does not like fruit cake and coffee, either has never had a piece of GOOD fruitcake, or doesn't like coffee :D
Tbradsim1, glad you got your fruitcake. Sorry you had to resurrect the dead to get it done. Been there.
Your problem, put me in mind of a story the late Bennett Cerf ( mother was an heiress of a substantial tobacco distribution system) wrote about.
A business man traveling by train, back in the day, was assailed by bedbugs, in his sleeper. Arriving home, he promptly wrote a letter to the train company president, alerting him to the problem. In short order he received a letter from the president's office, profusely apologizing and claiming all the coaches were being sanitized and "all the powers of heaven & earth" were to be utilized to rectify his recent discomfort.

As he bent to put away the letter, infused with a warm glow of satisfaction, a note fell out of the envelope. Picking it up he read, "send this guy the BUG letter."

:D

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I've never really been a huge fan of fruitcake. However, every Christmas, my mom makes her Baklava. I have recenly begun my own interpretation of Baklava, and it is much better than hers.
On a relative side note, I happened to go with some friends to an authentic Greek bistro near Fayetteville AR (Greek family run), and for dessert we shared some true baklava. It was horrible. I don't know what they did, but I would have thought it would have been better than anything my mother or I could have baked. I was incorrect.

Status
Not open for further replies.