PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
Just got a Kirsten from eBay and i cannot take it apart short of the bowl.

Stem is 1 solid piece. I did the oxi bath, what now?

anything available short of vicegrips?

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I dont know about kirsten pipes, but I didnt think you were supposed to take them apart, not sure though

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I would put it the fridge for a while, take out, let it thaw a bit, then take a hair dryer and hit it, cold and heat equals expansion, I believe that will work without harming the pipe. Tbradsim the old cajun That is if the pipe can be taken apart.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
You may be able to just heat the pipe up by smoking it, and then try to remove the stem. Heat usually causes the stem material to shrink a little. I'm not an expert, but it seems to work for me. Good Luck!
-Jim

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Freeze a frozen stem.

Stick it in the freezer for a little while then you should be able to remove the stem... if it's designed to come apart.

The briar and the ebonite having different properties will allow one to remove the stem when cold.

docrx

Jan 9, 2011
One problem with Kirsten's is that over the years they have different couplings and parts and finding the right part you may need is therefore difficult. Dave Whitney's book on old briar's covers Kirsten's extensively and is available on e bay for 12 bucks or as an e book on Amazon for 8 bucks or so. If your into Kirsten's or own one it is a must read IMO.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Thanks, maybe i wasn't clear.
This is one of those aluminum Kirsten pipes with removable bowls. 1940's i think.
I have a 2" bit, 4 inch stem with a threaded cap on the end.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
The pipe is made to come apart. The cap on the end of the shank is either a close fit or has "o"ring for a seal. It is not threaded. The bowl does have a screw that allows the bowl to be removed. I would freeze the pipe. then heat the shank to cause it to expand and remove the stem. the same for the cap. Good luck.
I have seen some Kirsten pipes that the parts have become stuck because they were not cleaned before storage. May be alcohol will penetrate the gap if soaked long enough.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
I tried hot water assuming heat would expand and i got the stem out, now i'm soaking in alchahol then into the freezer tomorrow.....
Thanks for the help.
In researching i have a 1st generation without o rings.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
photo: just learned how to postem......

mariner.jpg

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
alcohol - no good

freezer over night - no good

back to heating over a flame - no good.
lesson learned - when buying a Kirsten from eBay, ask if it comes apart.......

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
+1 Philip
If you are trying to remove the valve, what you called the cap, freeze the pipe first . Then warm the shank and not the valve. Then try to twist pull the valve. You might insert a rod/dowel from the stem end of the shank and gently push the valve out. Just some ideas. Good luck.I will take it if you can't make it work. :crying:

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
Is this a thread connection? the valve has ribs like it should be turned.
I haven't call Kirsten yet, I emailed them 2 days ago with no reply.

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Martini: They will answer the phone but they did not answer my emails. I need to call them and see if they are going to start production. I have a pipe that some one took pliers to to get the valve out and he messed up the bowl attachment boss also.

I have fixed it up to operating condition. They are interesting to smoke.
The valve has ribs and a flat spot that lines up with a 1/4" hole. When the flat is top dead center, the pipe will draw through the bowl. When is off to the side the bowl is isolated from the shank or body of the pipe. You can then put the pipe bowl down in your pocket and not get liquid out the bowl.

dhintonca

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If you can get the bowl off (usually no tools needed but you can use a screwdriver on the slots if needed) you can then fill it with alcohol (everclear by choice) and let it soak. This will often help. You can also try wrapping the valve with a cloth and using pliers -- carefully! There are no screw threads anywhere. Depending on vintage it's either metal on metal (old ones) or rubber o-ring on metal (newer ones).

htmn246

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 11, 2010
Kirsten pipes are an interesting smoke but must be cleaned after smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.