PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

That Guy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 8, 2021
Central Florida
About 6 months ago I picked up 4 oz of newminster 403 Superior slices and it was bad. Tongue bite within the first 5 minutes of smoking and no flavor. Tried different pipes and different methods but no luck. Like many have talked about in the forms before jar it up and let it sit and that's exactly what I did. Fast forward to now. After sitting Jarred up for 6 months it has become smokable and delicious. It has the ability to still bite if pushed too hard but it's much more forgiving than when I first tried it. Lately it's found its way into my morning smoke with some coffee and it pairs perfectly for me. So to wrap it all up yes aging really does make a difference even if it is only 6 months and I know the longer I let it sit the better it will be.

Jun 25, 2021
England
Definitely, just a few months in a jar can take a tobacco from not all that good to very good.
I like to put it in the Jar quite loosely.
I also find that it lights and stays lit a lot better. I guess the reason for that is because it's been absorbing oxygen.

The SRS has a lot of dark fired in it, and yes, I believe this one always does better with some age. I think that the dark fire leaf becomes more sweet and palatable. I am in the midst of finishing up an 8 year old jar, that is very smooth and sweet. I prefer a blend with dark fired as opposed to perique sometimes. It just seems to have the most dramatic change with aging.