From total train wreck to beauty queen - picture heavy!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2014
wv
Nicely done! its looks great. Anyone can buy a new pipe, But I really enjoy seeing when someone gives old briar a new start.

wlrountree

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 4, 2015
not to be redundant, but I have got to say that is a very nice looking pipe and you did an excellent job. One question however. What's the technique in picture number nine and how does it work?

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Thank you Gentlemen, your kind words are very motivating for me!
@layinpipe: If it wasn´t for the customs hassles I´d be happy to do some resto work for others!
@rsuninv: Rebornpipes was the website that inspired me to try pipe restoration. I guess I will drop Steve Laug a line soon.
@mso489: I might smoke it myself as this shape seem a bit on the scarce side here. But you´re right, it might mistify a future owner! :lol:
@newbroom: Thank you Mike! It would be only half of the fun if I couldn´t show it here. :D
@wirountree: Pic #9 shows the retort cleaning method. You should find an abundance of information about it here. In short it is flushing the dirty pipe with heated alcohol (my hot air gun is not on the pic). This removes a lot of the gunk out of the shank and stem.
@peckinpahbombre: I might be brave when it comes to pipe restos but thank god I don´t look like Terry Sawchuk! Thank you, I feel flattered about that. :oops:

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Wow...missed this one the first time around. That was a very impressive restoration...definitely a reborn pipe. Great work!

desertpipe

Might Stick Around
Nov 13, 2014
Your stain came out beautifully contrasted. It is a better looking pipe then when it was new, is my bet.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
It´s soemtimes a real surprise what nice grain is hidden under all that chipping varnish an dirt. I think she didn´t come out bad for such s humble little Denicotea. :D

literaryworkshop

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2014
Mobile, AL
Very well done. I appreciate the pointers in the tutorial. I've tried my hand at making my own pipes, and I might just dive down the restoration rabbit hole soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.