PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I've heard much about Frog Morton, but don't know much about it. I usually need an aromatic that doesn't bite the tongue like so many aromatics do. Any opinions?

kyriefurro

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2013
I usually need an aromatic that doesn't bite the tongue like so many aromatics do.
One of the fun things about being a newbie smoker is that I get to have all sorts of practice with tongue bite :x . Of all the tobaccos I've tried so far - and I've been rather busy sampling hehe - the Frog Morton series has given me the least problem. And yeah, they're very tasty. So far I've tried the original, On the Bayou, and Cellar. Cellar is my favorite of the three, but only by a slim margin.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I would suggest trying all 4 blends in the series. None of them even comes close to biting my tongue. They all are very good in my book, but YMMV.

soggycitybob

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2013
Portland, OR
I'm a self-proclaimed OTC smoker (Cap'n Blacks particularly), but dont like the tongue bite associated with them. I find that Frog Morton has a strong flavor and aroma without the bite. A rather cool smoke indeed.

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
I really like Frog Morton regular. It has a nice mellow sweetness to it. I will pinch out enough for a few bowls and let it dry for an hour or so. Smokes great when it has had some time to breathe.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
FM is a true no-bite blend, lowest bite of any blend I ever tried. It also has a wonderful flavor and some aromatic quality to it. I Have only had the original and Across the Pond. The original is amazing, ATP had some bite and an off-taste to it, but smelled a little better.

werdna

Can't Leave
Jun 6, 2013
FM original is very nice, cool and tasty. I've tried OTB and can't tell the difference. Try them all, you won't be sorry.

lovethebriar

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 12, 2013
What they said, on the log (original) on the bayou are great to me and my wife. We love the smoky flavor and room note.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I'll differ from the majority. I tried a couple of the FMs a few years back, and didn't care for them at all - I did not like the top dressing.

Now, admittedly, I don't smoke aros, and had been smoking lat blends for over 30 years when I first encountered the Frogs. I have since found that crossover English blends, such as the Frogs, are not my cuppa tea. I have found some that I seem to like, but if I order, say, 4 oz., by the tiume I am done with those 4 oz I never want to smoke those blends again.

Now, of course, as an aro smoker you might find these just the ticket for an intro to the wonderful world of latakia, so give 'em a whirl. But if they don't work for you, you will know you are not alone!

gnatjulio

Lifer
Mar 22, 2012
New York
Frog Morton (original), good stuff, no bite. Haven't had a need to try the others although I suspect that I will. I feel a TAD order brewing. Thanks a lot, sparrowhawk. heh heh.......

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
FM Cellar is yummy, no bite here. Not a strong aro, not a strong Latakia blend. You could argue that it's got a little bit of everything, or not enough of anything :)
I will note, it doesn't carry a room note like other aros do. I doubt your mom would say "hey there, light that up again!"
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.