PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seadogontheland

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 4, 2014
Frog Morton jumped away from me and into the pond, never to truly be seen again. I found this to be a light English, which for many is exactly what they want. The aroma was very pleasing, but I didn't get the mouth-feel I enjoy in a medium or stronger English. This also didn't seem as full bodied as I like. What I will usually do if I want a lighter smoke is sip more gently on a stronger blend and if more oomph is desired then I increase my puffing cadence so I can get the best of both worlds from one tobacco. This tactic didn't really work with FM for me, so for those who feel this is a blend that suits them well then that is great...it certainly is made well and its constitution is of fine tobaccos, it just wasn't quite what I look for. Otherwise, it did smell nice in tin, was of good humidity, the bowls fragrance was nice, it loaded easily, burned reasonable well and produced a moderate amount of smoke...important factors for any tobacco in my opinion. A good blend, light, but good.

freakiefrog

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 26, 2012
Mississippi
Frog Morton is what I like to tell people to try when they are wanting to try English blends. It's no to kick you in the teeth strong but it has enough Latakia and stuff to give you the idea of what it's like to smoke an English. I have some that I had sat back a few years ago that is really tasty stuff now with about 4-5 years on it.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
I bought a tin of Across the Pond specifically to figure out what the flavor difference between Syrian and Cyprian Latakia was - figured that the rest of the blend would be at least similar. I'm still educating my palate, but I was able to detect a subtle difference in my initial taste-testing, which I hope to repeat in the near future. And to be honest, I'm with Seadog on the mouthfeel of the Froggies - they're tasty and well-done, but there are other Latakia-forward blends that I prefer, personally.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm fixin' to crack a tin of FM. I tend toward "full strength" blends, but a craftily blended milder leaf is

sometimes rewarding, where the flavors sneak up on you rather than arrive with a Dixieland band. Then

you can always throw in a little CD Dark Burley if you need to step it up a notch.

dmcmtk

Lifer
Aug 23, 2013
Found a 100g tin of FM Across the Pond from '09 at my local B&M, it was great! Went back and bought two more that they had!

conlejm

Lifer
Mar 22, 2014
I like Frog Morton on the Town. It is one of a couple blends that I have tried which contain Basma Oriental leaf; the other being Old Dublin. Both are very good smokes.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I've really enjoyed FM original and Cellar. I'm looking forward to trying the rest of the Frogs. I think Bayou will probably be next, unless one of the others just presents itself to me.

pipesockit2me

Lurker
Feb 13, 2015
Thanks for the review seadog. I've got Across the Pond in my "cart" at a certain website and am happy to hear your take on it, as I'm still a neophyte with the English blends and as phred alluded to, I definitely want to compare Syrian and Cypriot before the former is extinct (no doubt thousands of others are thinking the same thing). Would love to get your take on more robust English blends, what are your go-tos? I'm loving the FM Cellar btw after letting it air a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.