PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilson

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2013
Glad to hear it was better. There is a mystique to lighting once (actually, twice, because you need to do the charring light) and smoking every last bit of tobacco but, in fact, there are many experienced smokers who relight a few times and who leave a little dottle (unsmoked tobacco) at the bottom of the bowl. Relighting a couple of times because one smokes slowly is, in my view, better than puffing hard to keep the tobacco lit and overheating the bowl, burning your tongue, and making your pipe gurgle. The whole point is to enjoy. Except in slow-smoking contests, there is no penalty for relighting once in a while nor are there any bonus points for finishing every last shred of tobacco in the bowl. Relax, unwind, and enjoy the experience. And, your pipe will gurgle again -- it happens to most mortal pipe smokers once in a while. Carry on.

pipesmoker66

Lurker
Aug 11, 2014
Just to echo, I have had the same problems with tons of gurgle and moisture in all three of my pipes. As a new smoker I found this thread invaluable. I had my most successful and dry smoke ever this evening, just slowing way down like you all suggested. Have been frustrated getting started but these blogs are really gonna help me progress and stick with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.