PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I've tried Burley dominant blends (not heavily cased or topped ones) with minimal results. Never bother with English because I don't smoke latakia enough.
I also base my opinion on the sugar content of the leaf. The sugar content is what gives these desired effects. This makes sense why Virginias would be best suited and things like Burley and Latakia may be more subtle or less impacted by the process.
Though I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed all your experiences. I've read many that were unsatisfied with the results and a jar of ruined tobacco.

So a leaf would have to have zero sugar content to not benefit from this process? I don’t look into it that much - do Burley and Latakia have zero sugar content?

Maybe my palate is just shot, but the idea that this process has ruined tobacco is kinda out there if you ask me. To each his own, but it’s had a similar effect (improvement) on the numerous blends that I’ve done. Perhaps what you’re reading is more VA bias? The sugar content makes sense, but to posit that non-VA blends are ruined by the process would be a tall claim from what I’ve experienced. Sorry it worked out that way for others.

Suffice to say I’m happy that every blend I’ve ever done has turned out better. I’d be upset if my results mirrored the stories you’ve read.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
So a leaf would have to have zero sugar content to not benefit from this process? I don’t look into it that much - do Burley and Latakia have zero sugar content?

Maybe my palate is just shot, but the idea that this process has ruined tobacco is kinda out there if you ask me. To each his own, but it’s had a similar effect (improvement) on the numerous blends that I’ve done. Perhaps what you’re reading is more VA bias? The sugar content makes sense, but to posit that non-VA blends are ruined by the process would be a tall claim from what I’ve experienced. Sorry it worked out that way for others.

Suffice to say I’m happy that every blend I’ve ever done has turned out better. I’d be upset if my results mirrored the stories you’ve read.
Not zero content, but far less than that of Virginia. I don't think it's bias that favors Virginias for stoving. Threads here and elsewhere I think support this claim.
But again, this is why I said YMMV. This is also why others have stated to only stove a small amount of a blend, as some may not like the outcome.

Reactions: BarrelProof

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Not zero content, but far less than that of Virginia. I don't think it's bias that favors Virginias for stoving. Threads here and elsewhere I think support this claim.
But again, this is why I said YMMV. This is also why others have stated to only stove a small amount of a blend, as some may not like the outcome.

I don’t mean bias that favors Virginias for stoving, I mean bias towards VA in general. Most of what I’ve seen is folks who tend to smoke VA’s looking for the quick route to an aged bowl. Fair play. But I don’t see a ton of people stoving anything else, so I’m reluctant to buy into the anecdotal vs. the empirical.

At any rate, it doesn’t really matter, because as you stated, YMMV. I’m just commenting that I’ve personally had nothing but great results, perhaps to encourage others who might be interested but are reading that it’s pointless for any leaf that isn’t VA.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’ll be watching this thread for tasting notes!

Don’t hold your breath! I’ve never been one to go off the deep end. I’ve seen reviewers that average 20-30 flavors in a single bowl and claim to get vegetation and woody flavors from both the VA and the orientals. How someone has a palate good enough to differentiate where the vegetation is coming from and/or different “vegetations” is beyond me.

I typically lump things into “good” and “not good.” Having said that, I’ll do my best to articulate any pronounced changes by smoking them side by side with the unaltered version and comment on any profound flavors I pick up.

Don’t hold your breath! I’ve never been one to go off the deep end. I’ve seen reviewers that average 20-30 flavors in a single bowl and claim to get vegetation and woody flavors from both the VA and the orientals. How someone has a palate good enough to differentiate where the vegetation is coming from and/or different “vegetations” is beyond me.

I typically lump things into “good” and “not good.” Having said that, I’ll do my best to articulate any pronounced changes by smoking them side by side with the unaltered version and comment on any profound flavors I pick up.
No worries. All I’m really after is did it improve a little or a lot 🙂. This is a cooking process. I read in the other thread someone say it speeds fermentation. That’s totally wrong. 190 F brings fermentation to a dead 💀 stop. Hell 120 will do that. What this will do is speed the oxidation component of aging as well as toast it a little and that sounds lovely. Thanks for the post brother

Reactions: BarrelProof

jdlander

Lurker
Jul 6, 2024
Salem, OR

Well ... It's been over a year... HA! I want to do this and am curious how they turned out?