PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
This is going to be interesting.

I've stoved HH VA before. I was very happy with the result. The jar note was amazing! There's that moment, after baking is complete, when I switched the foil for the regular lid; quickly in order to keep the precipitated moisture contained. And just a bit of that bran, graham crackery smell of the stoved Virginia escaped. Wow!

I am particularly looking forward to your feedback on the GLP Géométrie post-stoving. I bought a tin but it remains unopened.

Thanks for sharing this @BarrelProof

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Good luck stoving them, but I am here to tell you Geometrie leaves a lot to be desired.
Going into it, knowing the constituent tobaccos, what all did you desire?

I was a bit surprised at how little red Virginia I picked up on, but to be overwhelmed by Basma and Izmir is a pleasant surprise for me.

Reactions: kcghost

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
How does one stove tobacco, if I may ask? And what types of blends are best for this? What does it achieve?

Beginner here, hence the questions. Thanks.

Check out this thread. For me, it seems to intensify flavors while ironing out any rough edges. I’ve yet to not like the results, with the exception of one batch that I added way too much liquor into the jar before stoving it.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
How does one stove tobacco, if I may ask? And what types of blends are best for this? What does it achieve?

Beginner here, hence the questions. Thanks.
Virginias are really the only leaf worth stoving. Though I wouldn't stove anything that you plan on cellaring - it will stop any aging potential of said blend.
Order 4 ounces of a Virginia bulk blend sometime. Stove 2 oz, leave 2 ounces in the jar. The comparison would be very compelling I would think. Luxury Navy Flake or Newminister 400 is a fantastic flake to stove.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Well, I can pass on what I've read and followed. I don't know the science behind any of it, but it's the advice I've followed and it's worked.
Stoving is a process use to replicate aging kind of. Mellow out rough edges, sweetening a blend. Going off of this, look at the potential for stoving a latakia or Burley blend. Not much would change (unless there was a higher VA content), or it wouldn't change for the better.
I guess better phrasing would be "virginias have the most potential when stoving". Other blends just don't seem to have the same outcomes as stoving a virginia flake or virginia dominant blend.
YMMV, as this is only my opinion and experience using the information of Fred Hanna and others on the forum. This is not to say other blends can't benefit, I've just not experienced it or read any success stories with English or other blends

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Well, I can pass on what I've read and followed. I don't know the science behind any of it, but it's the advice I've followed and it's worked.
Stoving is a process use to replicate aging kind of. Mellow out rough edges, sweetening a blend. Going off of this, look at the potential for stoving a latakia or Burley blend. Not much would change (unless there was a higher VA content), or it wouldn't change for the better.
I guess better phrasing would be "virginias have the most potential when stoving". Other blends just don't seem to have the same outcomes as stoving a virginia flake or virginia dominant blend.
YMMV, as this is only my opinion and experience using the information of Fred Hanna and others on the form. This is not to say other blends can't benefit, I've just not experienced it or read any success stories with English or other blends

How many blends besides VA’s have you done?

I’ve had immediate improvement in SPC PP SR, BLB, Margate, and Latakia Rolls. I can comment on Eight State Burley in a few weeks as well as BMP, but in my experience every blend I’ve stoved has improved.

Reactions: yanoJL
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
How many blends besides VA’s have you done?

I’ve had immediate improvement in SPC PP SR, BLB, Margate, and Latakia Rolls. I can comment on Eight State Burley in a few weeks as well as BMP, but in my experience every blend I’ve stoved has improved.
I've tried Burley dominant blends (not heavily cased or topped ones) with minimal results. Never bother with English because I don't smoke latakia enough.
I also base my opinion on the sugar content of the leaf. The sugar content is what gives these desired effects. This makes sense why Virginias would be best suited and things like Burley and Latakia may be more subtle or less impacted by the process.
Though I'm glad to hear you've enjoyed all your experiences. I've read many that were unsatisfied with the results and a jar of ruined tobacco.

Reactions: yanoJL