PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
All this talk of "Is it mold?", especially with some product from C&D circa 2016, and the merits of opening tins immediately and jarring the contents to guard against mold or other spoilage -- it all got me far too curious to let any of my tins escape opening.

Thus, without further ado: behold, a tin of Cornell & Diehl from Jan 30, 2019 (near enough to 4 years "cellared" to warrant opening):

cornell and diehl bijou 2019.jpg
It smells and looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to pack a pipe with it. Yeah, it was supposed to age for another 6-11 years, but I have another (younger) one aging away in my modest cellar. Maybe that one will make it to the 10 year mark. I can also bottle this up and save it for a rainy day years in the future, but at least this way I can watch the mold start to grow, haha (though I suspect that this is in the clear since it is okay after 4 years).

I'm not asking for advice on "Plume or mold?" because I know I'll get plenty of comments unasked for. Also, I've already made up my mind about what this is. Hint: I'm smoking it soon as I can.

Anyway. I'll report back here with some kind of review when I've smoked some bowls.

Cheers!

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
All this talk of "Is it mold?", especially with some product from C&D circa 2016, and the merits of opening tins immediately and jarring the contents to guard against mold or other spoilage -- it all got me far too curious to let any of my tins escape opening.

Thus, without further ado: behold, a tin of Cornell & Diehl from Jan 30, 2019 (near enough to 4 years "cellared" to warrant opening):

View attachment 192888
It smells and looks gorgeous, and I can't wait to pack a pipe with it. Yeah, it was supposed to age for another 6-11 years, but I have another (younger) one aging away in my modest cellar. Maybe that one will make it to the 10 year mark. I can also bottle this up and save it for a rainy day years in the future, but at least this way I can watch the mold start to grow, haha (though I suspect that this is in the clear since it is okay after 4 years).

I'm not asking for advice on "Plume or mold?" because I know I'll get plenty of comments unasked for. Also, I've already made up my mind about what this is. Hint: I'm smoking it soon as I can.

Anyway. I'll report back here with some kind of review when I've smoked some bowls.

Cheers!
I am keenly interested in your feedback on this 2019 tin of Bijou. I picked up a tin via the forum baccy sales of Sep 2017 Bijou. I had planned on aging it some more. I just went and checked it in the cellar- The seal is good!

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Well, I'm interested in whether this is plume or mold. There's a couple spots that look a little fuzzy when you zoom in. Might be plume AND mold.

Reactions: ThermionicScott

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
Ive been into the idea of three Va tins of this or that and trying them at 5,10, and 15 years. So far I only cracked a 5 year red and dam it was smooth, next one‘s not till 2032, hope I’m still around for that and especially 2037…

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Well, I'm interested in whether this is plume or mold. There's a couple spots that look a little fuzzy when you zoom in. Might be plume AND mold.
Definitely nothing fuzzy or weblike going on here. Just the standard sparkly, crystalline plume that I’m now reasonably familiar with. It seems that photos can never really do it justice, because from where I stand, it looks nothing like mold.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I have a 2019 tin in the cellar that I bought at the Richmond Pipe Show and I’m eagerly awaiting your thoughts, enjoy!
I’ve smoked through a bowl, and currently smoking a second bowl. I rate it very good! Wonderful aroma and you can really taste the Orientals. Reminds me, in many respects, of Luxury Navy Flake (but more full flavored) and Sutliff VA Flake (but more complex). I’m curious now what positive changes would have transpired with another 2-5 years, but I definitely feel that it wouldn’t have come out of 10 years of aging with mold, since it doesn’t already have it. I also have no regrets opening it when I did. It’s a fun and enjoyable smoke!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Definitely nothing fuzzy or weblike going on here. Just the standard sparkly, crystalline plume that I’m now reasonably familiar with. It seems that photos can never really do it justice, because from where I stand, it looks nothing like mold.
when I started smoking in 1990 something, I was told that both plume and mold are mold. But that plume is just harmless mold. Not sure if true but it does remind me of that mold that grows on certain meats like salami.

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I have a 2019 tin in the cellar that I bought at the Richmond Pipe Show and I’m eagerly awaiting your thoughts, enjoy!
Again, it’s really good as is, but I think it would benefit from age, and may be worth waiting since mold is apparently not an issue (no guarantees: YMMV)

Singularis

Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
Possibly maybe. Whatever the case, I've smoked through a majority of the tin, and -- 3 months later -- I'm still standing and feeling fine!

Now on to a 15 year old tin of GPT Westminster, where the tobacco looks less "fuzzy".