PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I finally got my new shipment of tobacco, and have been taste testing and blending tobacco for a new run of plugs. The first to hit the press was the Balkan plug named after out very own Baronsamedi. Here is a picture of the new plug. I made it thinner so it would be easy to slice off a flake with a razor blade. The next picture is the mix of Red and Bright Virginia, Dark Fired, Box Turkish, and Latakia. The final picture is 1.5 pounds of Red and Bright Virginia and Perique. I just added a slight topping and it will be ready for the press in a few hours. I have already sent Baron a sample and Cigrmaster will be getting a sample of the VaPer plug in the next week or so so watch for the reviews.
2012-12-12114759.jpg

2012-12-12112726.jpg

2012-12-12112555.jpg

gmwolford

Lifer
Jul 26, 2012
WV, USA
Appetizing! You're doing a bang up job it seems with your new "hobby", my friend. Love seein and reading about the progress and product you're making.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Wow. Those look delicious. Especially the first one.
Question about the Vaper -- is all of that dark tobacco in the picture Perique? Looks like a fairly high percentage.
I'm also curious about the cut. The first plug looks almost like it's made from whole leaf. In the other two pics, though it doesn't look like whole leaf, there are still some mighty big chunks, which is probably good for pressing into cakes. Are you taking whole leaf and tearing it a bit before mixing and pressing?
Thanks for sharing pics of your work. I think all of us home blenders are getting a real kick out of seeing the work you're doing.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Yes, The whole leaf has been stemmed and tore down into 1-2" pieces. The plug in the first picture was made directly from the box in the second picture. The dark tobacco you see in the final picture is Red Virginia. If you look closely at the picture you will see long strings of almost black tobacco. That is the Perique. The Perique has been long cut so it mixes evenly. You can't get Perique in whole leaf either. My VaPer mix is 1/3 Perique. If it tastes as good after the press as it does now then I should have a winner:)

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Yes, The whole leaf has been stemmed and tore down into 1-2" pieces. The plug in the first picture was made directly from the box in the second picture. The dark tobacco you see in the final picture is Red Virginia. If you look closely at the picture you will see long strings of almost black tobacco. That is the Perique. The Perique has been long cut so it mixes evenly. You can't get Perique in whole leaf either. My VaPer mix is 1/3 Perique. If it tastes as good after the press as it does now then I should have a winner:)
Thanks, Shawn. Hope it turns out to be a good one.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
I have problems with red virginias too Rothnh, but this stuff is super easy on the ole tongue. I think Harris will be fine. I tested it for 4 days, heavily, and no adverse reactions.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
awkward....sorry bro, android spellcheck changed yummy to mommy.

LMAO. It happens to me all the time when I text. You should read some of the crazy texts I've sent because spellcheck changed my words around:)

Shawn wasn't wired to be average. I think it'll be great

I'm no Greg Pease by any means. I'm just learning and trying to keep moving in the right direction. I had to make 2 adjustments on my VaPer since I took the picture. I give it to the guys like Russ O, Greg Pease, and Pipeinhand. There is nothing easy about this. I'm struggling to make these Virginias taste the way I want them too. Research is slim to none. The big blenders keep their recipes shrouded in secrecy leaving trial and error as the only method to learn. I can't afford error. lol Thanks for the kind words guys!!!

guitarguy86

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 6, 2012
Shawn, I love this stuff. I waited for the mail yesterday, but it never came. I fell asleep, and decided to look in the mail box this morning, and saw the package. I put down my current pipe, loaded another one with BSMP, and this stuff is good. It is smokey, and full of flavor, and something different. I can't quite tell what the difference is, but this tobacco is making my day. I will DEFINITELY buy more in a week if you have any left!

Status
Not open for further replies.