PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
Ok so I'm really growing fond of freehands, and have been in the process of trying to find a new pipe. Something about the shape of most freehands just... speaks to me, if that makes sense. Anyway I cannot afford to spend much on a pipe right now, and every so often I'll find one on one of many websites in a price range I might be able to afford. So I get all excited and giddy and stuff, like a kid in a candy store, and as I scroll down my heart is torn from my chest when I see that dreaded word... SOLD. At which point, I flip out, pull at my goatee, look for something to throw (this takes a moment sometimes because I don't want to break anything or make a mess)scream at the top of my lungs and raise a fist of defiance at the gods, and then want to cry like a baby.
Does anyone know a good site where they regularly carry freehands under 80 bucks?

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Anthony:
If you don't have an aversion to estate pipes try the following:
Get on the bay and search for Preben Holm. You probably won't find one of his burners in your price range but, who knows, you might get lucky. (Weird stuff happens all the time.) Now, failing that - and still on the bay - search for Ben Wade pipes made in Holland, okay? Holm bought the Ben Wade name and for several years produced great looking freehands employing some of the great Danes carving today.
You can usually pick up a "Ben Wade - Made in Holland" for 30 to 35 bucks plus shipping. In return you'll get a manly pipe with an attractive grain that should deliver the goods. I've got three PH Ben Wades and they're all swell smokers.
I'll gladly walk and talk you through the cleanup/sensitization and share my spit-shine on a budget process. Hopefully you'll end up with a pipe to cherish for years to come.
Cheers.
Fnord

Aug 1, 2012
+1 fnord. You can find some great freehands on the 'Bay in your price range if you aren't adverse to an estate and all that goes with them (cleaning). In fact I just saw a lot of 5 Ben Wade freehands in good shape go for $125. One way to find some of the great ebay deals is to camp out on the "Newly Listed" page with the "Buy it now" box ticked.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
What they said about ebay
I like the looks of this one, and it's in your budget
http://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/Nording/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=117122
I'm planning a trip to SC and NC to visit family in the spring , and my travels will take me close to Low Country Pipe & Cigar AKA smokingpipes.com so my goal is to pick one of these up when down there. Otherwise that pipe would be sold right now.

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
I picked up a Mastersen freehand estate made in Israel just recently. Nice shape, but it smokes like a rabid incontinent raccoon spent the winter inside. It's undergoing a second salt treatment just now.
That said, the freehand shape is really beginning to grow on me, and I'm saving up for an Erik.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
@ anthonyrosenthal74 tell you the truth just be patient, took a long time time to get my hands on a Nording Freehand, and when I got it the timing was perfect. I had my bday party at my local (soon to be closed down) shop anda few friends got me gift cards from the place. So I got lucky and paid $20 for my Nording freehand. Maybe you should try that. It's money well spent!

Jan 8, 2013
Sorry it took me so long to reply, everyone. Went to bed shortly after I posted this topic, as I had to open this morning at work. Thanks a million to all of you for the help and some great links as well. This is kinda lame, but I've never used Ebay before. Do you have to sign up, or can you just jump right in and buy something? I normally shop on Amazon when I'm doing my online shopping. Some of those pipes look really nice.
*EDIT* Ok I just searched "freehand" on Pipesandcigars.com... Oh God, big mistake lol

Status
Not open for further replies.