PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I'm the retailer that @oldmojo was talking about, and I think I should jump in for a minute to express a few ideas.
To start at the beginning, David emailed me inquiring about working together and what that might encompass-- including a link to his Facebook page where I assume he sells his pipes. I took a look at the dozen or so pipes he has up there and immediately noticed a trend that he only makes freehand pipes. Not to assume his particular motives in emailing me, but after being emailed in a similar fashion by dozens of pipe makers over the years, people really only inquire about working with a retailer for two reasons: They want to sell more pipes, or they would like exposure, or both.
So during lunch on the 8 hour drive home from Columbus on Sunday, I replied to his email. I thanked him for his interest, explained my troubles in selling freehand shapes in the past, and alluded to the fact that it wouldn't be good for either of us to have pipes on my website that don't sell. Regarding the 'no longer in vogue' comment, I'll stand by it. One look at Ben Wade Pipes on Ebay, at pipe shows, or in a B+M setting is all the proof I need to express that freehand pipes aren't as popular as what they used to be.
I went on to explain that of the pipe makers I've met over the past ten years, it takes a lot more technical skill to make a traditional shape as opposed to a freehand; not to downplay what he makes, but rather to make a point that I've watched these pipe makers become very successful by pushing themselves out of their comfort zones. It takes a lot more skill to make a stem that is flush with the shank. It takes more skill than that to allow for no 'light gap'. Sure, light gaps don't affect the way a pipe will smoke, but it's great proof that a pipe maker is meticulous enough in his work to not allow for it. It's just one of those things that time after time in my experience of collecting, smoking, and selling pipes that allow for a great smoking pipe.
Ryan Alden is a perfect example. The first show Ryan came to I remember very clearly. Sorry to pick on you, Ryan, but your pipes were garbage. They were very small, didn't have very good transitions at the stem / shank juncture, showed file marks, signs of aggressive buffing in areas, weren't very proportional, and had very bulky stems. But the thing is, Ryan took the critique from that show, sought further critique, experimented, honed his craft, and applied the critiques that folks gave him... and now look at his pipes just a few short years later! They are gorgeous. They have comfortable stems that flow aesthetically. His pipes are proportional. His color choices match his finishing choices. In a nutshell, he has earned the accolades as being hailed as 'the next Rad Davis' because he put in the effort. I'm proud to have his pipes in my collection and they're great smokers to boot; the fact that he's a great person just adds to the experience every time I pick up one of his pipes.
...But he could have ignored everyone's advice. He could have risen up in ignorant fury that his work is misunderstood. He could have gone to the nearest forum to rant.
At the end of the email I sent, I expressed that if David would be willing to try making some classic shapes, I'd be very willing to revisit the conversation of working together. That doesn't mean stopping making freehands, shapes that he enjoys making. As a retailer, that means "give me something I know I can sell".
The point I'm trying to make here is that instead of having a conversation about pipes, pipe making, retail, and more; you chose to come here and air your thoughts publicly. Maybe not the best choice by some of the comments I've read, but hey, to each their own.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Excellent thread! I have to agree with most everything posted here, including the passédness of freehands. One of my favorite pipes is this Danish Ben Wade:
2hyqQMB.jpg

0hV1noZ.jpg

Beautiful grain, wild cubist carving that pulled every bit of birdseye on one plane against the flame grain on the perpendicular plane. Very well thought out in it's uniquely strange way. In someways, it doesn't know what it is, but it's carved to completely optimize the grain. Stem is a complete piece of shit, an afterthought. I should replace it so that I'll smoke this pipe more often.
$80. That's what I paid for it. I might get my money out of it, might not.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
What an education! I just bought and read two books on pipes and tobaccos. I learned more in this thread than from the text of both books combined.
Pax

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
When the first Danish freehands hit the market, by my assessment anyway, the shape/style was a lightning bolt to pipe smokers. One tendency in trying to show off the grain in the briar and the shape itself was to make them big, often too big to clench or even hold between your teeth as you lit them. They were and are beautiful, but they did generally go heavy, and often as not, just too heavy. The shape is vigorous, alive and well with such pipe makers as Nording, who discovered many preferred the freehand in a lighter weight, which is really no problem, and if it's done right, no loss of beauty and sometimes not much loss of chamber size either. My go-to carver Jerry Perry did a great one of Cocobolo in a sort of asymmetrical square/rectangular pocket pipe in a deep stain with an orange stem. Very little Danish about it, more mountain craft with maybe a Japanese influence. Very light but with an ample bowl. So the horse is out of the barn, the genii out of the bottle, and the freehand will be with us forever in one form or another, I trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.