PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
On tonight’s Pipes Magazine Radio Show we have a new episode of an ongoing segment of what Brian likes to call “Inside Fred’s Head” with Fred Hanna. Fred is a well-known pipe collector, author, and speaker at pipe shows. He has a PhD. in psychology and teaches the same at the Chicago Campus at Adler University. He is also author of the book, “The Perfect Smoke”. This is the ninth in the series with a long form discussion of pipe and tobacco questions sent in by our listeners. In the opening “Pipe Parts” segment, Brian will go over the JDRF auction items.

The shows airs every Tuesday at 8pm eastern US time on PipesMagazine.com, and all podcast apps. Just search for Pipes Magazine Radio Show on the app you use.

Fred-Hanna-Brian-Levine.jpg

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
Brian,
great to hear that The West Coast Pipe Show is already looking at exceeding everyone's expectations, real impressive and good job!
Comments re. one/two light pipes. Surely there's no right way, or wrong way for how many times someone needs to re-light their pipe. I personnally prefer to re-light as few times as possible. As you said in the show, "I don't care!" Exactly right. I'm smoking MY pipe for ME. Happy Smoking is what it's all about.
Always enjoy the interviews with Dr. Fred, he sure does take a ribbing from you about his straight grains.
I think you guys hit upon a good point, insomuch that the use of the phrase Straight Grain was indeed a clever marketing ploy.
I've got a high-ish end Italian artisan pipe, the grading is one designation away from the maker's highest grading. Sure, it's a beautiful pipe, great straight graining, wonderful birds-eye on the heel, plataue rim and a great bent Dublin shape. But it just doesn't do it for me, sorry. Sand blasting offers way more interesting patterns, IMHO. And that's all it is, my humble opinion.

No offence taken here regarding your rant. As you got into it, I was surprised that you were able maintain your composure.

Thanks for the show, looking forward to hearing some more from Fred.
Honkytonk Man - Cliff.

andysc83

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 30, 2012
Laurens, South Carolina
Hey Brian! Another great show and the "Inside Fred's Head" segments have become one of my favorites! Love the knowledge and opinions Fred brings to the table.

On a side and rather random note, I'm just a few hours south of you in Greenville, SC. If you are ever down this way, let me know as I would love to meet the legendary Brian Levine in person!

Conarroe05

Lurker
Jun 9, 2022
I’m a new listener and a new pipe smoker. I am enjoying the show and learning about pipe smoking. My dad and grandfather smoked a pipe so I decided to follow in their footsteps.
Consider including a segment on pipe tobacco, specifically the tobacco makers. It’s overwhelming to know which to try especially when there seems to be hundreds of choices.
The show flows quickly and is well produced. Just keep us beginners in mind!