PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
On tonight’s Pipes Magazine Radio Show we have a new episode of an ongoing segment of what Brian likes to call “Inside Fred’s Head” with Fred Hanna. Fred is a well-known pipe collector, author, and speaker at pipe shows. He has a PhD. in psychology and teaches the same at the Chicago Campus at Adler University. He is also author of the book, “The Perfect Smoke”. This is the 12th in the series with a long form discussion. Tonight, the guys will discuss the future of pipes. In Pipe Parts, we will have an Ask the Tobacco Blender segment with Jeremy Reeves. Jeremy is the Head Blender at Cornell & Diehl, which is one of the most popular boutique pipe tobacco companies in the USA.

The show airs every Tuesday at 8:00pm eastern US time, and can be found at PipesMagazine.com and all podcast apps.

Fred-Hanna-Brian-Levine.jpg

Fred Hanna & Brian Levine

Jeremy-Reeves.jpg

Jeremy Reeves at this past weekend's Vegas Pipe Show

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
Hi Brian- I wanted to thank you and Jeremy for answering my question this episode. And furthermore, your follow up questions were excellent in my opinion, and closely followed my thought process. Hearing how the process runs along is very interesting to me. I had a suspicion Jeremy and I have similar tastes, as I have become a great fan of C&D in the past 5 or 6 years. I really think some of the stuff they’re creating is world class.

On the subject of the 21st century pipe, you and Fred had me laughing. Also thinking though. If a proper material could be found for 3d printing, that could be a game changer. Maybe a one piece design like a Dutch style clay with the precision of a computer engineered airway? Might be a great idea. I think Eric Nording has already been doing similar manufacturing with his keystone pipes.

jmsmitty6

Can't Leave
Jan 12, 2018
Cincinnati, Ohio
Good Evening Brian,

Again a great show. Fred is attempting to solve a problem that no one knew existed!!! Seriously though, I've never thought much about the future of pipe smoking involving the pipe itself. What, with the proliferation of artisan carvers, that aspect increases the diversity within the hobby.

I have thought about the future of pipe smoking being in growing, curing and creating blends for the home smoker. Akin to how home brewing revolutionized the beer culture in America over the last 10-20 years. I remember in the beginning you could get kits sent to you to do it yourself and now I know of people who have started their own breweries or grow their own hops for beer. That has always been my thoughts about the future of our hobby. Interesting discussion nonetheless.

Take care Brian,

Jason