PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I journaled for many years (at night, at a desk by candlelight). It did me a lot of good for a lot of years, but then it suddenly lost its value. I might go back to it someday though.

A question about ink:
Is there a difference between dip ink and fountain pen ink? Or is ink just ink? Happy to display my ignorance in order to dispel it…
The simple reply is that dip ink can clog a fountain pen, and fountain pen ink should not.

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
India ink is for dip pens. By my observation only, so ymmv, India ink dries hard and when dry is not very water soluble. Fountain pen ink can be mostly rehydrated. If you use India ink in a fountain pen it will dry hard within the pen. Which pretty much destroys it. I found that when I used India ink in dip pens, if I did not clean the nibs, I would have to remove the ink with a knife.

Last edited:

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I have had lots of Rhodia journals and notepads over the years. It’s the best paper I’ve ever used. Moleskine notebooks are cheaper and have great paper too. At least they did a few years ago. I stopped journaling and haven’t bought one in a while.

As far as ink goes for my dip pens…. I’m probably going to try some Waterman’s next. Looks nice and gets good reviews on Amazon. Anyone ever used it?
The quality of the paper in Moleskine journals can vary greatly and may depend upon your ink and pens. Rhodia, Clairfontaine etc is much better in most cases.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
The quality of the paper in Moleskine journals can vary greatly and may depend upon your ink and pens. Rhodia, Clairfontaine etc is much better in most cases.
I’m currently using Endless Recorder notebooks with Tomoe River paper. Unfortunately they don’t make them with that paper anymore but the reviews on the new paper are good.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
Speaking of paper, @crashthegrey you were right -- those notebooks I have are Tomoe River 68gsm.

My golly is that good paper!

I took my wettest pen (an FPR flex nib, which pours out ink when you press fully), and compared several different fountain pen papers.

The 2nd best was Rhodia's "R Premium" 90gsm (most of their paper is 80gsm and noticeably inferior).
Turns out this is actually a Clairefontaine product.
It's very good -- less feathering than most other fountain pen papers.

But the winner by a mile was the Tomoe River 68gsm.
Oh. My.
It simply refused to feather, no matter how much excessive ink I intentionally pooled from that crazy flex nib.

Why has this gone the way of the Dodo?
Will it ever come back?
Is there anything else like it in the world?

Reactions: crashthegrey

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Speaking of paper, @crashthegrey you were right -- those notebooks I have are Tomoe River 68gsm.

My golly is that good paper!

I took my wettest pen (an FPR flex nib, which pours out ink when you press fully), and compared several different fountain pen papers.

The 2nd best was Rhodia's "R Premium" 90gsm (most of their paper is 80gsm and noticeably inferior).
Turns out this is actually a Clairefontaine product.
It's very good -- less feathering than most other fountain pen papers.

But the winner by a mile was the Tomoe River 68gsm.
Oh. My.
It simply refused to feather, no matter how much excessive ink I intentionally pooled from that crazy flex nib.

Why has this gone the way of the Dodo?
Will it ever come back?
Is there anything else like it in the world?
There is supposedly a new version of Tomoe River paper that is very good but I haven’t seen it in a notebook yet.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
There is supposedly a new version of Tomoe River paper that is very good but I haven’t seen it in a notebook yet.
I found this:

Curious how this 52 gsm compares to the 68gsm.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
I found this:

Curious how this 52 gsm compares to the 68gsm.
Thanks for the link. I might try out the new paper myself although I really like the hard bound sewn signature stele notebooks. I haven’t seen one of those with the new paper.

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Someone mentioned Spencerian Script. SB Brooks Civil Docket 2.JPGHere is some writing made by my great great grandfather in Spencerian Script. He did it with a dip pen, I believe. He was a civil magistrate (a judge but they were referred to as Aldermen to distinguish them from criminal court judges, I believe.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Someone mentioned Spencerian Script. View attachment 192623Here is some writing made by my great great grandfather in Spencerian Script. He did it with a dip pen, I believe. He was a civil magistrate (a judge but they were referred to as Aldermen to distinguish them from criminal court judges, I believe.
Wow! That’s so very beautiful! Not long ago I was looking through some old (early 20th century) funeral records in an online archive. I was flat out amazed at the ubiquitous, beautiful handwriting I saw. To think that there was such a time in the world—and not that long ago—when people believed in making daily things like writing so beautiful. Old buildings, old clothes, old cars, etc, all used to be made to be useful as well as beautiful. Somewhere along the way life became utilitarian and therefore ugly. I hate it.

A quote from William Morris comes to mind:
“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
Wow! That’s so very beautiful! Not long ago I was looking through some old (early 20th century) funeral records in an online archive. I was flat out amazed at the ubiquitous, beautiful handwriting I saw. To think that there was such a time in the world—and not that long ago—when people believed in making daily things like writing so beautiful. Old buildings, old clothes, old cars, etc, all used to be made to be useful as well as beautiful. Somewhere along the way life became utilitarian and therefore ugly. I hate it.

A quote from William Morris comes to mind:
“Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.”
Very true. His handwriting puts mine to shame. I understand handwriting is no longer taught in grade school?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
What kind of hammer leaks and needs a spare cartridge? lol
For forty years, every working day I’ve put on a suit and tied a knot in my tie, so many times I don’t need to look at a mirror when I do.

Part of a lawyer’s uniform is their pen.

A fountain pen is best, it’s classiest, and the damned things are going to ruin your shirt in the middle of a trial until you convert to ink cartridges and a ball pen. I tried the reservoirs and I tried the cartridges and both leaked, always at the worst time.

With a ball pen I still get the pen, not the leaks.

C61B9CF4-31B7-4520-AA5B-35FF053B5051.jpeg

Last edited:

RonB

Can't Leave
Jan 17, 2021
Southeast Pennsylvania
For forty years, every working day I’ve put on a suit and tied a knot in my tie, so many times I don’t need to look at a mirror when I do.

A fountain pen is best, it’s classiest, and the damned things are going to ruin your shirt in the middle of a trial until you convert to ink cartridges and a ball pen. I tried the reservoirs and I tried the cartridges and both leaked, always at the worst time.

View attachment 192631
I’ll admit that I’ve ruined two or three shirts in 40 years, but to me that’s worth the price to use a superior writing instrument. I’d never use a ballpoint pen but a good rollerball or gel pen would be acceptable. I actually have a G 2 gel pen refill in my Waterman rollerball pen.

One way to prevent accidents is to only use pens that have caps that won’t come off too easily. I’ve had my Shaeffer, Pelican, and a few others come off unexpectedly. My Parker 51’s have a firm snap on cap that have never been a problem. Others like Pilot are good too. Pens should not otherwise leak unless there is significant temperature or pressure change such as on an airplane.

An alternative that many use is to carry your pens in a pen case or sleeve and keep it in your briefcase or a pocket. I have a nice little three pen leather case that is small and convenient.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com

View attachment 192631
I don't think you answered the question...?

Reactions: Briar Lee

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I don't think you answered the question...?
My rollerball cartridge pens will never leak.

But they do run out of ink.

I have extra cartridges in my brief case, plus Pilot G-2 pens for backup.

Honestly, in trial there’s not much time to write notes, and no time at all to change a refill, until a recess.

When I started law forty years ago, most rural courthouses still allowed pipe and cigar smoking in the courtroom, but not cigarettes.

Old lawyers would stick a long needle in their cigar, and smoke it in front of juries. The idea was the jury would see how long it took for his ash to fall instead of paying attention to the opposing witness.

But the risk of being embarrassed by a fountain pen putting a huge blot on a clean, pressed shirt or even ruining a thousand dollar suit won’t happen to me again.

My pen has to work without any thought about it.

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Looking forward to the arrival of a Jinhao 82 in pink for my daughter.
It appears to be similar quality to my beloved Jinhao X159, but in the size and shape (blatant copy) of a Sailor Pro Gear Slim.

She will love it. I told her "only the best for you. Or at least a Chinese copy of the best"
help-me-decide-pink-jinhao-82-with-silver-furnishings-or-v0-t46wvr284h2a1.jpg