PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ChonkyTonks

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 14, 2022
Philly
I freaking HATE Goulet. I will never buy from them again.
Do dish, please. I have read a comment or two about them from other people in the community. I would love to know why you have such a strong feeling about them. I stopped buying from them at one point, but it was more due to other sites I used.

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York
Do dish, please. I have read a comment or two about them from other people in the community. I would love to know why you have such a strong feeling about them. I stopped buying from them at one point, but it was more due to other sites I used.
It goes back to Noodler's. Nathan Tardif is known to be a bit reclusive and extremely libertarian had some very questionable things on his ink labels. and while I believe him when he said it was not meant in the way it was spun (saying he was an anti-Semite) by the couple who own Goulet who then led a "woke" crusade against him pushing his deeper into hiding and forcing him to rename a few dozen ink colours. Namely anything named after an Indian tribe, various people, or events such as the Tiananmen Square. I abhor people that use their position in that manner. Basically I hate bullies.

Last edited:

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
It goes back to Noodler's. Nathan Tardif is known to be a bit reclusive and extremely libertarian had some very questionable things on his ink labels. and while I believe him when he said it was not meant in the way it was spun (saying he was an anti-Semite) by the couple who own Goulet who then led a "woke" crusade against him pushing his deeper into hiding and forcing him to rename a few dozen ink colours. Namely anything named after an Indian tribe, various people, or events such as the Tiananmen Square. I abhor people that use their position in that manner. Basically I hate bullies.
Goulet definitely bullied Nathan and it bothers me greatly. When possible I buy elsewhere myself.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
It goes back to Noodler's. Nathan Tardif is known to be a bit reclusive and extremely libertarian had some very questionable things on his ink labels. and while I believe him when he said it was not meant in the way it was spun (saying he was an anti-Semite) The couple who own Goulet led a "woke" crusade against him pushing his deeper into hiding and forcing him to rename a few dozen ink colours. Namely anything named after an Indian tribe, various people, or events such as the Tiananmen Square. I abhor people that use their position in that manner. Basically I hate bullies.
I didn't know this, but now that you mention it, it does ring a bell about some Noodler's drama along these lines.
I'm no more a fan of witch hunts for those who won't kiss zeitgeist butt than you are, so I may join you in taking my business elsewhere than Goulet.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I know a guy who is a master penman (he hates being called a calligrapher) whose work is a joy to behold. He uses a dip pen for his own work. He makes and sells his own pens and inks. You can find his wiki page by looking up Mike Sull Penman. You will find a wiki page on him as well several pages that are dedicated to his work. He used to attend the KC Clubs meetings, but I haven't seen him in a while.
I've heard of this guy and I'm not anywhere near the same level as him. I just like messing around with penmanship and kept getting comments on it so I decided to do something with it. I always enjoyed handwriting but when I got into Tolkien it really took off. It's a lot of fun.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
I like the JoWo #6 1.5 stub for my (far poorer) attempts at this sort of writing (not true calligraphy) -- in my case I use the Goulet branded one, and one of the best things about it is that you can stick it on a variety of bang-for-buck pens.

(I also have an italic nib on a discontinued old Shaeffer pen which I inherited, and it does make sharper corners, but you have to lift the pen between strokes to keep from tearing paper.)
Not to be too pedantic, and you probably already know this, but the word 'calligraphy' just means 'beautiful writing' which can really be anything. If I see pretty or interesting handwriting, it's calligraphy. Now... being called a 'penman' is a different thing. I'd never call myself that.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
When a group of pipe guys, one in the industry, travel to pen and pipe shows together, share both hobbies, and two of them launch a podcast that talks about both constantly, and features some of the others of that pipe group on the show often, pipe and pen become interchangeable words. :ROFLMAO:

• Love
Reactions: Andre_T

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
No you didn't I was merely shouting my opinion into the ether.
So we’re clear, I loath them too, I was merely being polite.

Here’s my take. I bought from them when they were still operating out of their garage and bedroom videos.

Currently I wouldn’t buy from them no matter the pen or whatever in their catalog.

My reasons are the same and it’s because of their super soft woke nonsense.

BUT the nib nook is free and is useful before I buy a pen from somewhere else.

Fun fact about Noodlers. I use QE3 Blue Black for almost everything, but especially writing checks and have for years.

Last year I received a call from a detective asking if he could visit with me concerning one of my business checks that turned up in a robbery.

Okay, now you have my attention.

It involved some pile of shit stealing mail and washing the ink so they could “repurpose” the checks.

My check was the only one in about three hundred that was clearly washed, but the ink was still on the check.

Noodlers for life baby.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
So we’re clear, I loath them too, I was merely being polite.

Here’s my take. I bought from them when they were still operating out of their garage and bedroom videos.

Currently I wouldn’t buy from them no matter the pen or whatever in their catalog.

My reasons are the same and it’s because of their super soft woke nonsense.

BUT the nib nook is free and is useful before I buy a pen from somewhere else.

Fun fact about Noodlers. I use QE3 Blue Black for almost everything, but especially writing checks and have for years.

Last year I received a call from a detective asking if he could visit with me concerning one of my business checks that turned up in a robbery.

Okay, now you have my attention.

It involved some pile of shit stealing mail and washing the ink so they could “repurpose” the checks.

My check was the only one in about three hundred that was clearly washed, but the ink was still on the check.

Noodlers for life baby.
Just wrote a check with Noodler's for this exact reason! To buy more pipe inventory. Lol. Full circle.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Looks like I've stumbled down a true rabbit hole/subculture here. I'd never heard of Goulet till today and certainly was unaware of any controversy surrounding a... pen company? I guess the woke nonsense makes its way into everything these days.

Andre_T

Dec 17, 2018
Long Island, New York