PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 1, 2014

Funny thing is, nowadays I write in Sütterlin; and I'm glad that one isn't taught anymore: my writings remain private.

Speaking of scripts: Welcome to IAMPETH! | IAMPETH site - https://www.iampeth.com/
On this website you'll find many invaluable tools for learning scripts.

If a person ever gains an enthusiasm that goes beyond the pen, then the ultimate expression is to create your own script.
Personally I use Copperplate as a base and then just made some shortcuts on a few characters to help it flow.
Not only can a good pen make every stroke on the page uniquely yours, every word can be as good as a signature.

And by that I do not mean chicken scratch.

When I started practicing handwriting I knew from the start that Palmer Method was totally unacceptable, but the reality of the situation was so much worse than I could have imagined.
Once I actually studied real writing, not whatever it was that the last few generations were taught, I was absolutely shocked to realize that every character you put to paper is ALWAYS supposed to closely resemble the original block letter.

To all you Parents, Teachers, and well meaning people of an age gone by who just want to pass on the good old ways to young people, I'm sorry but I can now say with utter clarity that you have BAD HANDWRITING.
Of course there are a few exceptions, if you work to maintain your script, I applaud your effort.

As for the vast majority, if you don't sit down and practice your drills to perfection at least once every three years, then all those years ago it was not just my five year old mind telling you that I can't read your handwriting. NOBODY ELSE CAN READ IT EITHER!!!

You can find examples of military communications from WWII with page upon page of exacting script, written with no intention but pure function, that are absolutely unlike any writing I have ever seen in person in my entire life.

From what I can tell the post-war western world absolutely fell to shambles when it comes to handwriting.

Reactions: Bowie and Casual
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
In Russia, they still are learning cursive writing in every educational institute starting at elementary school, whereas in Finland to my great sadness, recently National education administration made a public announcement curving writing has come to end and is not obligatory in any public school

Erehwesle

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 20, 2020
Sylva, NC
Speaking of scripts: Welcome to IAMPETH! | IAMPETH site - https://www.iampeth.com/
On this website you'll find many invaluable tools for learning scripts.

If a person ever gains an enthusiasm that goes beyond the pen, then the ultimate expression is to create your own script.
Personally I use Copperplate as a base and then just made some shortcuts on a few characters to help it flow.
Not only can a good pen make every stroke on the page uniquely yours, every word can be as good as a signature.

And by that I do not mean chicken scratch.

When I started practicing handwriting I knew from the start that Palmer Method was totally unacceptable, but the reality of the situation was so much worse than I could have imagined.
Once I actually studied real writing, not whatever it was that the last few generations were taught, I was absolutely shocked to realize that every character you put to paper is ALWAYS supposed to closely resemble the original block letter.

To all you Parents, Teachers, and well meaning people of an age gone by who just want to pass on the good old ways to young people, I'm sorry but I can now say with utter clarity that you have BAD HANDWRITING.
Of course there are a few exceptions, if you work to maintain your script, I applaud your effort.

As for the vast majority, if you don't sit down and practice your drills to perfection at least once every three years, then all those years ago it was not just my five year old mind telling you that I can't read your handwriting. NOBODY ELSE CAN READ IT EITHER!!!

You can find examples of military communications from WWII with page upon page of exacting script, written with no intention but pure function, that are absolutely unlike any writing I have ever seen in person in my entire life.

From what I can tell the post-war western world absolutely fell to shambles when it comes to handwriting.

I really worked a great deal on improving my handwriting and developing a script. I regularly write with a fountain pen in a nice journal / commonplace book it is a part of my daily ritual. I have actually kept a nearly continuous written journal since my teens.

Two pens I particularly love for day to day are, first, my go to writer a Jean-Pierre Lepine Fountain pen I picked up at paperplume in New Orleans, one of the few in the states that carries them. It is notable as it takes the smaller international cartridges, and is thus a very small pen, though it becomes full size when the cap is posted on the back. I find it fits neatly in the watch pocket of my jeans for daily use.

I am also recently rather fond of J Herbin's fountain pen. J Herbin is known for its great inks, and dip pens, but they make a very inexpensive fountain with a steel nib that is a fine writer. It also takes the international size cartridges, and Herbin's cartridges are available in most of their ink colors, so you can write in something a bit more distinctive than black or blue black. The cartridges also fit my Lepine. This is a very inexpensive pen, but a great writer, and tiny, I take it with me on all my backpacking trips.

I, of course, use bottled ink with most of my pens, but I find I often default to either of these shorter pens which take cartridges for daily use, as I can throw an extra cartridge in my pocket. Of course, it helps to get the neat little tins of J Herbin ink in neat vibrant colors.

For my trail journal I also carry a small watercolor pencil kit for sketching based on this set with the addition of an eraser, pencil sharpener, and metal ruler. The additions all fit nicely into the tin this comes in.

A couple of things I use regularly for my journaling I thought might be of interest.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
For my trail journal I also carry a small watercolor pencil kit for sketching based on this set with the addition of an eraser, pencil sharpener, and metal ruler. The additions all fit nicely into the tin this comes in.

A couple of things I use regularly for my journaling I thought might be of interest.
Water soluble graphite. I’ve never seen that before but it sounds like fun.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have a jinhao, zebra, lamy safari, pilot metropolitan ( fountain and ball point) and a Cross. The lamy is my favorite. Light and comfortable.

I like them for long writing sessions, but just for jotting notes, I use my Parker jotter, or zebra f701.

Sep 4, 2019
East TN
I had to relearn my cursive. I use my Pilot Metros for bullet journaling (fine nib-printed) and for logging my days and thoughts(medium nib-cursive) I like Pilot Green and Parker Blue-Black bottle inks

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
This isn’t going to end well. I’ve spent the last hour reading various fountain pen and journal threads on here and now I must ask:

Who do you recommend as a reputable supplier? Is there a solid website I can jump on to buy a few pens and notebooks?

I’ve purchased many notebooks - mainly Moleskine - online and in person from Staples office supply and Barnes & Noble.

Art supply stores usually have a good selection of notebooks and journals, but I’ve never shopped them online.

Mar 1, 2014
This isn’t going to end well. I’ve spent the last hour reading various fountain pen and journal threads on here and now I must ask:

Who do you recommend as a reputable supplier? Is there a solid website I can jump on to buy a few pens and notebooks?

I've been shopping with the Goulets for a decade now.
Some businesses use the term "Family Business" for marketing, in this case we got to see Brian and Rachel trying to live stream videos about pens on the same couch with crying babies.

Today they're carrying on pretty much the same:

The Goulets have practically cornered the market on brand loyalty in the Fountain Pen retail industry.

Reactions: vates and Casual

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I've first bought from Goulet Pens 7 years ago and they're still a solid starting point for many. Highly recommended.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I used to collect pens including fountain pens years ago. Rather liked the designs of Monteverde. However, since I retired I may only pick up a pen to write a half dozen times a year now. If I were still working my office job, I could easily be tempted to collect a few more, but they get no use. My favorite pen, though, is a sizeable roller ball made of mother of pearl and jet I'd picked up at a Sante Fe jewelry shop going out of business some 20 years ago. Only paid $45 for it.

Reactions: wordheavy

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I really like the compact and utilitarian style of the Liliput. It seems like some of the other pens from Kaweco fall into this category, as well. I don’t see myself going off the deep end into pen collecting, but I do think it’d be nice to have a handful for different purposes.

I imagine this stainless steel Liliput working its way into my EDC gear and I was wondering if there are any other brands making simple, utilitarian, minimalist types of pens like the Liliput or Kaweco Sports. Wouldn’t mind looking into another brand just to see what’s out there. If nothing else catches my eye and I like this Liliput when it gets here, I imagine I’ll pick up two more of them so I can carry red, black, and blue inks like usual.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
I really like the compact and utilitarian style of the Liliput. It seems like some of the other pens from Kaweco fall into this category, as well. I don’t see myself going off the deep end into pen collecting, but I do think it’d be nice to have a handful for different purposes.

I imagine this stainless steel Liliput working its way into my EDC gear and I was wondering if there are any other brands making simple, utilitarian, minimalist types of pens like the Liliput or Kaweco Sports. Wouldn’t mind looking into another brand just to see what’s out there. If nothing else catches my eye and I like this Liliput when it gets here, I imagine I’ll pick up two more of them so I can carry red, black, and blue inks like usual.
The Lilliput is great to carry around for size and durability, but it’s heavy to write with for any length of time. I’d look for something all plastic and thicker circumference for a more comfortable long form writing experience. I don’t know your needs, but it’s hard to go wrong with a Pilot Custom 74.

Reactions: BarrelProof

vates

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2019
I used to collect pens including fountain pens years ago. Rather liked the designs of Monteverde. However, since I retired I may only pick up a pen to write a half dozen times a year now. If I were still working my office job, I could easily be tempted to collect a few more, but they get no use. My favorite pen, though, is a sizeable roller ball made of mother of pearl and jet I'd picked up at a Sante Fe jewelry shop going out of business some 20 years ago. Only paid $45 for it.

It's time to start keeping a diary! ;)

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I only write with fountain pens, well my tablet needs an Apple Pencil, but on paper, it’s FPs.

I use WW2 vintage Parker’s or modern pens. My favorite daily carry are TWSBIs, Sailor and Platinum.

I have found great comfort in the stormy sea of my brain smoking a pipe, writing with a FP in a journal and chewing on bourbon.

I only carry one ball point, sometimes it’s a necessity, and that’s one my gf gave me.

I’m old enough to find simple comforts and not give a shit.

Reactions: Casual
Status
Not open for further replies.