PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Be careful with the Boveda packets. They will absorb volatiles like pipe tobacco flavorings, and some of those volatiles react with whatever is inside the Boveda, producing an odd aroma. I use them for whole tobacco leaf with good success, though.

buroak

Lifer
Jul 29, 2014
woodsroad, Thank you for the heads-up on the Boveda pouches. I have primarily used them with English blends to good effect, but may need to tread carefully going forward.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Buroak, I've used the Boveda packets with whole leaf Latakia, and although they do absorb some of the smoke aroma ( same with Dark Fired), nothing untoward happens. There are, however, "English" blends that use synthetic flavorings to either replace or enhance real Latakia. I'm not going to name names, because I don't want to incite a pissing contest, but it becomes apparent that the Boveda reacts differently with these blends.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
To avoid the potential problems which woodsroad identified with the Boveda packets, you might consider the use of the aluminum-cased clay buttons sold at most tobacconists. Simply soak one in distilled water, and then place it inside of the container. While not quite as scientific as the packets, I find that they work well.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
imagejpg1_zpsc12cf0d4.jpg

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I'm wondering how it compares to the House of Windsor version, which I smoked and did not like, and the Sutliff Revelation Match, which I do like.

bigboi

Lifer
Nov 12, 2012
Wow. Good luck, hope it turns out for some good smoking opportunities for you.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Interesting, this was dry but is taking on life again. My man cave smells like Revelation. Should be smokeable in a day or two.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Looking good there....

I forgot to mention: If you can find the ziploc "Veggie" bags, the ones with tiny holes in them, they are great for this sort of thing. Put the damp sponge(s) in the bag, seal it, then chuck it in the bag with the 'baccy on the tray. The veggie bag will slow down the evaporation from the sponge(s), and if the bag touches the 'baccy, no big deal, it won't soak it.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
It is all rehydrated. It is a pleasant amoke with a sort of cigar with a hint of maple taste. However I have only had one bowl so far. I'm more of a flake guy. But I plan to put a nice sample in The box pass so perhaps the guys can give their two cents more effectively than I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.