PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobby

Lurker
Oct 16, 2016
Hi all! I found a pipe bowl with metal lid yesterday. I was out metal detecting around an old cellar hole and dug it up. I dont care about any value amount but would love to learn something about it. I dont know anyone who knows anything about these things and figured no better place to ask than a pipe forum right? Id love to know where its from and possible age range just to have a little story on it when it goes in display box. Here it is....

pipe bowl

blackbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2015
Looks dutch in origin...which don't quote me on that; just a thought. It can be extremely difficult to get a back story on a pipe with no markings. I hope someone chimes in with more info on it. More pictures always help!

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Dutch or European would be my guess as well. Part of a porcelain pipe.
schowaporcelainpipe-600x581.jpg

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Most likely, but I have seen a fair number of German makes on eBay as of late.

bobby

Lurker
Oct 16, 2016
Wow! thanks for quick replies! I took some other pics earlier. I saw a couple german ones that are similar while scouring the web but thats why im here :) Heres a few more pics...

Heres the cap. I rubbed it with my thumb to see the metal and thought it was silver plated. Its really fragile and I made the crack worse and bent it a little. I dont want to break it so think it can stay dirty lol.

pipe top
Here is a couple pics of the bowl. I can see some of the flowers were pink and green and the leaves had gold veins.

bowl2
bowl3
Thanks for looking.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Nice! All I can say is it was fancy for its time. Guessing 1920's, give or take a decade or two. Are you in Boston or East Coast? Where did you find it?

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
The hunter style pipes were popular in Germany and surrounding country's, buy the looks of it is porcelain and not meer and the art make me think of Dutch pipes I've seen, was it found any ware neer Dutch Amish country?

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
Its rather interesting when one realizes that this style of pipe was originally designed for reusing a broken clay pipe. If you look at the canted style of the bowl and stem the layout was designed to accommodate a broken 17th century clay pipe so that they could be smoked after the clay stem had been broken. I believe this was mentioned in Compton Mackenzie's book 'Sublime Tobacco' which can still be found in some second hand book shops. How true this is I don't really know but it sort of makes sense. I would think the pipe was turn of the 20th century or 1920s as they were quite popular tourist bring home type gifts.

bobby

Lurker
Oct 16, 2016
Thanks guys! You nailed my location mayfair lol. 5 hours north of Boston in central Maine is where I'm at. I found this pipe at a late 1800's foundation in the coastal town of Searsport. And pagan....you are correct....it is porcelain. There is amish a couple hours north of me but not sure how long they been there. You have all been most helpful and welcoming to a guy who doesnt even smoke a pipe :) Been looking around the site a bit and seen some wicked cool pipes. Wonder what wifey would say... :puffy:

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
We won't tell her.....
Welcome to the site. I was going to ask what you meant by found, considering the glove and dirt, and was hoping for a cool story. Can you tell us more about the dig site?

bobby

Lurker
Oct 16, 2016
randelli.... Gold prospecting and metal detecting are my top 2 hobbies but ended up on a pipe forum lol...go figure. I was detecting around an old foundation and the bowl cap was what i detected. I pulled the cap out of the ground and saw the white rim in the dirt. Thought it was a salt shaker but when i dug it out this is what I got. And here I am :) Theres great history here and I've dug many cool coins and relics but this ranks pretty high on my fav finds list.
pipesmokingtom....I could see myself with one while reading on a long cold winter night.....

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Jaegerpfeiffe, and my first impression would be eidelweiss also.

Cool, though, I haven’t come across them done as a ceramic appliqué before...

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The Austrians still make a good pipe, but the one I know is briar, the Kembering brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.