PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lostandfound

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 30, 2011
The Bible says the spider is one of the wisest creatures to walk the Earth. They live in "Kings castles".

Aug 1, 2012
Man, warn a guy next time :) . I too have a deep phobia of spiders. I know it's irrational but it's there. I also have a fear of earwigs but that's a story for another time.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Had a pet spider when I was young just out of grad school in a studio apartment. It wasn't quite that big, but she lived above the sliding door

that served as the front door, and minded her own business. She was a pet until a move or two later, I was able to have a more traditional

pet. I don't feel all that cozy about spiders and snakes, but the non-venomous ones are good pest control. A good black snake in a barn

is a good neighbor. No telling how many rodents and other problems she or he will gobble up while you're sleeping. Yum-yum.

lostandfound

Sep 30, 2011
Mso, if I ever have a barn I'm definitely keeping a snake in that sucker, and it will be awesome.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
@Zo: You'd have the heebies if you willingly let a spider crawl on you but you ATE ONE?!!!
Yes. I can't really explain it either though but on the was back from the Thai boarder, we stopped by Spidertown again and this time, we did let live ones crawl all over us. I had to face this fear and it was so dang icky. You could feel their weight, very light yet they felt solid. I could only handle about 20 seconds of this.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have large wolf spider that hangs out around my outdoor shower. Its been out there all summer, but seems to only visit me, though. They are not aggressive, but FAST! Mostly active at night....

simnettpratt

Lifer
Nov 21, 2011
@Zo: I couldn't handle more than twenty seconds either, but in that time they would make their way to your face. Plus, they can jump. More points deducted. I was raised vegetarian, so even eating steak is a little hard for me, but I'm trying to cross off as many of the animals I was taught were a sin to eat as I can. Long road to spiders though!
I'm willing to bet that even insects can feel love as they are a form of life. Wouldn't be surprised if the crazy people that say plants can feel a rudimentary form of love might be right too...but I still have my first squirrel in the freezer my brother-in-law plans to mount one day.
@OP madman: Give us a report later on whether you can establish any kind of relationship with your creepy spider!

antbauers

Jul 12, 2013
Spiders love to live in pipe chambers, they hide in the stem then crawl into your mouth.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
My son has a very large tarantula that was "gifted" to him by a friend who was deathly scared of spiders. It was given to the friend as a birthday gag gift.

Anyway, my son has had the thing since he was in kindergarten and he is about to turn 20 yrs old.

the Spider has to be at least 14 yrs old.

tobyducote

Lifer
Jun 10, 2012
New Orleans
We found this big boy in our pool 2 years ago...you never know what you'll find in your back yard in S Louisiana
9950fa5bc4501494ea9f52dcedd78ad1_zpseb1b80bd.jpg

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
I would move. I hate spiders, rather, they scare the heck out of me. I usually scream like a little girl when I come across one. I am a big dude, too. The wife usually ends up laughing her ass off as she removes the spider for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Apropos of the gator by the swimming pool, my uncle had a gator living in his pond at a house on the

Callosahatchee River in Florida. They fed it, big mistake, and one time when he was offering it a stale

loaf of bread, the gator eased up and closed down on his arm. It was a long standoff until my uncle

could withdraw his arm. About his local vultures, when my uncle would drag carcasses of deer and

cattle to the back forty, he said, the vultures have never let me down; that is, they cleaned up nicely.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Lol ... it's funny that these tiny, harmless creatures can evoke such fear.
That's a cool friend you found there organizedman! It's not a Wolf Spider though. It's a Giant House Spider and is not poisonous or harmful to humans. If you let him run loose in the basement you'll have less small insects. These and the Praying Mantis are natures "bug zappers"! We had several of each last year living indoors. It was a bad Cranefly year and they did a great job of keeping up with them.
Here's some good info: http://www.burkemuseum.org/spidermyth/myths/insidewolf.html

Status
Not open for further replies.