PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacks6

Lifer
May 9, 2016
I dig it the way it is. It's easy to use and it loads fast. That's all I need. There's nothing to hinder me from interacting as much as I want on my phone or computer.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
There are people that would like to see improvements and others that are fine with the way it is. The simple fact is that either way, it's not going to stop people from coming to or using the site.

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Here's an idea that I had. Less subdivision of tobacco topics.
See, at the bottom of the "Main Themes" list is "General Discussion." That's where most (certainly not all) of the off-topic stuff is gonna show up, and that's fine. It's just that I have no interest in that section.
Problem (for me) is that, above "General Discussion," there are roughly a million pipe-related topics that I am interested in. If I individually select each and every one of the pipe-related topics, it's gonna take forever. However, if I DON'T select a pipe-related topic I have many off-topic posts mixed in with the on-topic posts.
Below the "Sticky" section, there is a list of the 70 or so posts with the most recent activity. I love that, I just wish there weren't so many off-topic posts among them. I would love for the "Main Themes" to be listed as "Pipe-Related" and "Non-Pipe-Related."
I would click "Pipe-Related," and be presented with a list of 70 or so pipe-related posts, and would only see the non-pipe-related stuff when I chose to.
I like this solution, because people who wanted to see every post would not change anything, but those of us who wanted to exclude the off-topic stuff could do so with a single click.
Of course, I then wouldn't have seen this post...

robwoodall

Can't Leave
Apr 29, 2015
Yeah, that's it, Cosmic.
Right under the word "Forums" is a list of "Main Topics:" General Pipe Smoking Discussions, Pipe Smoking Basics and Beginner Questions, Pipe & Accessories for Trade/Sell, etc. At the bottom of that list is the section called "General Discussion."
You can click on either of those and ONLY see that topic or, more commonly, one can roll down the page to "Latest Discussions." That's what I do, which lets me see the 70 or so posts that have had the most recent activity.
Most of the times I don't want to specify whether I'm interested in "Beginner Questions" or "Pipes and Accessories" because I'm generally interested in both those topics. I'm a lot less likely to be interested in "General Discussion."

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I just go to the Forum homepage and let it roll. I can click on a topic, and if it doesn't interest me, I can move on.
The site works just fine for narrow bandwidth brain power. My job is extremely technical.....this site is not. A perfect match.

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
The only thing I'd really like to change would be loading photos. I would like to be able to load a photo directly to the post from my photo album with one or two clicks. No photobucket or other middle-man software needed.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
The only thing I'd really like to change would be loading photos. I would like to be able to load a photo directly to the post from my photo album with one or two clicks. No photobucket or other middle-man software needed.
Once it's in your album here, you just need to Option click for Mac or right click with Windows, copy the URL, then paste it in the IMG tag. Pretty much two clicks and keyboard copying and pasting. The drawback is getting the photo into your album, and the small size permitted. That's why I like Imgur.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
To those are saying "this is site is great, but...." all of these things like posting images and posting "likes" are covered by Tapatalk, an app for phones which makes forums sooooooo much easier to read and participate in, all the while leaving it as is for those opting for HTML interface. It makes interface far easier and allows for so many more options. Will it happen? Not a chance in hell. Status quo it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.