PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2023
Does anyone know the history of these? Are they they same or was their a name change back in the day? I know what ”Field & Stream” is, but I cannot find any information on “Forest & Stream”. Just a lot of empty tins on eBay for the latter. No trace of forest and stream notes of any kind on tobaccoreviews.com either. Appreciate any history that anyone can share about the very old “Forest and Stream“ Blend. Thank you. Alaska Pipe Man

Attachments

• 03F1731F-2713-4978-9DBD-2B95B00131CB.jpeg
    03F1731F-2713-4978-9DBD-2B95B00131CB.jpeg
    33.5 KB · Views: 0

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Does anyone know the history of these? Are they they same or was their a name change back in the day? I know what ”Field & Stream” is, but I cannot find any information on “Forest & Stream”. Just a lot of empty tins on eBay for the latter. No trace of forest and stream notes of any kind on tobaccoreviews.com either. Appreciate any history that anyone can share about the very old “Forest and Stream“ Blend. Thank you. Alaska Pipe Man
The only thing of interest I could find is that Imperial Tobacco of Canada trademarked the name in 1911.

I was tempted to think it was a rebranding of Field & Stream for the Canadian market, but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I don't now Forest and Stream. The current match of Field and Stream is quite good, to my taste, a real all-day smoke that burns evenly without many relights and little to no bite.

Feb 25, 2023
I don't now Forest and Stream. The current match of Field and Stream is quite good, to my taste, a real all-day smoke that burns evenly without many relights and little to no bite.
I just ordered some Field and Stream (match). Never had it before but hopefull of that blend. Hoping it has the Anise / liquorice note like the old version did. As for Forest and STREAM, I’m on an endless pursuit to find some of that old stuff to evalyae…most curious about it.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Maybe they had plan to sell the blend. So they made posters and tins, but alas! Market didn't pan out for them. So they have crap load of tins and posters and no one remembers the actual product? I like this version.

Reactions: Alaska Pipe Man

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I just ordered some Field and Stream (match). Never had it before but hopefull of that blend. Hoping it has the Anise / liquorice note like the old version did. As for Forest and STREAM, I’m on an endless pursuit to find some of that old stuff to evalyae…most curious about it.
I’ve never had the “match“ blend, but Sutliff’s Great Outdoors was advertised as being based on Field & Stream. And it very much has the licorice/anise note…which, oddly enough, I really enjoy, even though I don’t like anise in licorice. Just be aware that it’ll ghost a pipe.

I smoke a very small number of aromatics, but Great Outdoors is something I try to keep on hand (along with Man’s Best Friend, which is said to be a match for Barking Dog).

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
Perhaps We need some Canadians to chime in on this one given this was specifically marketed in that country.
I've seen the old tins and the newer style round ones (pic included for illustration) in antique stores, but I have no idea what it tasted like. I would assume it was a semi-aromatic codger blend as that was what most tinned pipe tobacco was at the time.

Screenshot_20230227-104638_Google.jpg

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
Alaska Pipe Man:

Intrigued by your quest to learn about Forest and Stream pipe-tobacco, I took the liberty of contacting Imperial Tobacco of Canada. I exchanged e-mail messages with one representative, and spoke on the telephone with another. Unfortunately, both were dry holes and could not tell me anything about this tobacco.

Sorry for the bad news.

Reactions: canucklehead
Status
Not open for further replies.