PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

andya27

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 15, 2014
I'm an outdoor smoker. I live in Cleveland.
During the warmer months I rather enjoy smoking outdoors. From November until March it's miserable. As a kid I loved winter. But as I age, and now with (well controlled) diabetes, long stretches outdoors in winter are just plain uncomfortable, and I pay for them later.
As the kid is finishing undergraduate school this year and then off to grad school out of state, my wife and I may downsize the house within the next year or so. I'd like a condo - no maintenance. Just relaxing on the weekends.
Anyway, for those of you who smoke indoors, any suggestions as to what I could use to keep a room from smelling like I smoke a pipe there? When we move to wherever we move, one of my requirements is going to be Andy's Lounge - which includes my smoking indoors. But I'll need a solution for the smoke odor which my wife does not enjoy.
What do you folks use? How do you manage a spouse who does not like smoke? Any suggestions welcome.
Sad - but during the past several months, I've smoked perhaps two bowls. Just can't handle the cold.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
With either the lamp or the filter, do they keep the room from smelling like smoke afterward?

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I had the filter running while smoking some Black House, which gives a very strong balkan room note. The next morning, there was no smell at all.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I suppose 6' of wood chips on the floor with 7' of pine cladding on the walls with the cavity space designed as one large HEPA filter with a powerful suction fan built into the window and an air tight sealing door from Navy Surplus topped off with 5 ozone machines! That should keep everyone including the neighbors happy especially the tobacco nazi's.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I suppose 6' of wood chips on the floor with 7' of pine cladding on the walls with the cavity space designed as one large HEPA filter with a powerful suction fan built into the window and an air tight sealing door from Navy Surplus topped off with 5 ozone machines! That should keep everyone including the neighbors happy especially the tobacco nazi's
Yep.

fishfly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 12, 2014
Dubuque, Iowa
Here's what I have tried:
Small air purifiers--"Doesn't work".

Weather stripping all doors out of the room--"Helps but not enough"

Big blueair purifier--"Helps but not enough"

The following home built fan:
Fan_S.JPG

--"not perfect but good enough"
Note that I'm working with a basement room with no cold air return duct.
The fan is just an old 120 volt computer case fan blowing out and mounted in scrap wood.

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
I use a filter that incorporates an ozone function. It works well for me.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
One really can't do away with the residual odor. The smoke coats all the surfaces in the room including your clothes and hair. It can be somewhat reduced and masked through the use of extraction fans, candles, filters (filters get coated with the smoke and must be changed often), ozone machines, etc.
If it's a real "bone of contention" I would suggest smoking next to a large extraction fan, similar to those fire departments use, which is built into an exterior wall, wear a smoking jacket and cap, and after smoking mask the residual odors with a couple of candles or such. Scrubbing the floors, washing the curtains and shampooing the carpet with a fresh coat of paint on the wall and ceiling surfaces will help. This is extreme of course.
Simply put, you can't remove all odor evidence of smoking in a room or from your person without a lot of work and expense. If "no residual odors" is what is required you are not going to achieve it.
Perhaps you could find a blend more tolerable to your wife and take some actions to minimize the reeking odors in the room. Weather seal the door to the room and keep it closed when in use or not and handle all the cleaning yourself so that your wife has no need to enter.
If the two of you cannot come to agreement on an acceptable level of odor, build a shed with the necessary utilities or buy the house next door for your smoking, shower and change clothes before returning to main abode.

griffonwing

Can't Leave
Nov 12, 2014
Omaha AR
I would also say to look for a condo that has a screened in patio, or a covered back deck.
It wouldn't be too expensive, comparatively, to build wall partitions around the deck for use in the colder climates, with the space heated with a ceramic heater. Keep the wall partitions in a small storage shack during the warmer months. Keep the tops of the wall open for optimum ventilation.
Or buy a condo that will allow you to build a small deck as mentioned above.

voorhees

Lifer
May 30, 2012
Gonadistan
Ingenious fishfly. I have a small double fan that fits in about as much space as your homemade unit. But its a bit loud and not as airtight. I may end up putting a exhaust fan in the ceiling.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
My in house smoking is done vary sparingly. Only a few times a year and when it's comfortable enough to have the windows open and the only the screen door shut. I have a small air purifier with a tobacco filter that I leave on high during the bowl and let run on low for a few hours afterwards. It clears the smell out very well.
It sounds like you're wanting to be puffing a lot more frequently in the house, so I'd say you'd probably end up having to wash the walls (vinegar and water), shampoo the carpet, clean the drapes etc. after the winter season is over to keep it from having that stale smoke odor.

andya27

Jun 15, 2014
I would also say to look for a condo that has a screened in patio, or a covered back deck.
Exactly what I was planning. I'm hoping for a "three season" room that I can vent with a fan. Seems that might be the best way to go.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
I'm going to face a similar problem in the not too distant future. Now I can smoke in my lower level and my wife tolerates that. Inevitably, we are going to move to Manhattan where not only is there no place to smoke, but even if there were, the anti-smoking beasts on any floor will get on my case and get the management to kick me out.
The ozone generator is probably the best thing out there that I can find, but the fumes from the machine are harmful to the throat and lungs, so ventilation afterward is necessary to the outdoors. Even with this machine, as Warren has said, the residual odors stick to any porous surface such as upholstered chairs and carpets, drapes, blinds, etc.
I believe my plan will be to join one of the few smoking establishment 'clubs'= pay what I have to pay for the privilege of enjoying my so called nasty habit.

andystewart

Lifer
Jan 21, 2014
I smoke in the conservatory in the autumn and winter, with a fan heater if cold and the small windows open. Yes, I'm heating the garden but it's worth it. I avoid strong-smelling tobacco until the weather allows the big windows/doors to be left open but the trick, as Warren says, is to avoid surfaces that absorb and hold the odour. I've got (tastefully!) laminated tables and bookshelves that don't hold moisture and can be wiped, plus a flag stone floor. The chairs have metal frames and mesh seats and backs. The walls are painted with the matt eggshell paint you use in bathrooms/kitchens. The books seem to be OK and the curtains get a regular rinse. Works for me and the wife - who would mention the slightest smell - doesn't say anything, so all this must be helping. Clothes-wise I wear house-slops that can stand regular washing, so they don't smell either.
Andy

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
I smoke in my office which is on the second floor in the back of the house, windows open. I have a wife that is tolerant to the pipe. Cigars, that is a different dog.

Status
Not open for further replies.