PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Thanks William.
It intrigues me why Gawith is releasing pound increments when they could be packaging all that tobacco in 50g tins with the added profit that brings. Doesn't make much economic sense, to my mind. It also satisfies fewer customers at a time. I'd like to try Squadron Leader but I'm willing to bet the opportunity will arise when I'm not able to purchase it.

letsgodowntherabbithole

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2011
That price seems a little high to me for any tobacco. I would love to try some of course but I don't want to get myself hooked onto something that is going to be hard to get for a long time to come.

For now, I'll stick to my 7 seas, it's cheap, easy to get, and I know it will be around for a long while

shotokun16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2010
Thanks for the notification
I didnt pull the trigger because thats expensive $34+8.95 shipping for 250gram is kinda pricey.

Cup of Joes

250G SGSL:$34.86

$8.95 (USPS)

$43.81
MarsCigars

250G SGSL: $23.50

$6.95(USPS)

$30.45

$13.36 difference
I think ill wait.
@Sparrroa
Yes that would be practical for 50g but their packing/tins can be costly and the shipping weight could actually be heavier than the 250G plastic wrapped/paper-cardboard container.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
True enough, shotokun. As the resident of a small island, I'm well aware of the effects that added shipping costs have on all products. The thing is, Samuel Gawith is supposed to be an artisanal tobacco manufacturer. Bulk packaging in a time of unprecedented shortage seems to fly in the face of reason when you are a small traditional concern. I can't fathom why they aren't charging $12 a tin and easily recovering their costs. That or a full withdrawal from the United States, so they can legitimately satisfy their consumers in Europe.
And not to be a nag, shotokun, but as a Canadian I would pay $35 for 50g of Captain Black at a local store if I had no other source. I cannot emphasize this enough; if you like the tobacco, pay for the enjoyment it will bring you today. Surely $44 will buy you next to nothing of lasting value in today's world - think of the hours you could spend savouring Squadron Leader instead. If the FDA decides to tighten their belt enough, the only way you'll smoke Gawith again is through a trip to Europe itself. I know I'd rather kiss $13.36 goodbye right now. (Nevermind proposed tax increases)

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I'm with sparroa. I recently learned that Nova Scotia tobacco venders have very reliable access to all the SG tobacco they want. Tobacco here is rediculously expensive. I paid $23.00 for a 50g tin of Squadron Leader and I was happy to part with my hard earned dough in exchange for the enjoyment I derive from smoking SG Squadron Leader. I was so happy that I decided to part with another $23.00 for another tin and another $46.00 for 2 tins of Best Brown Flake. Yes that is a rediculous amount of money to pay for 4 tins of tobacco, but lord dyin' Jesus am I going to enjoy them.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
ohin,

That is intriguing news. While it's of no use to me, I'm happy to hear there's some availability in the Maritimes. Halifax is one of the few places I can visit without spending a fortune; who knows, I may take a trip over sometime in the next year. $23 isn't half bad - living in Canada you get used to getting gouged. I paid $350 today just to stock up on decent beer before it gets discontinued - La Fin du Monde and Paulaner. Sad. Everything I like has to be made artificially scarce by the government. I'm going to Montreal in June, maybe I will find some SG there.
marmal4de,

I feel your pain. I had $120 put aside for an order because I thought Samuel Gawith was due to arrive. How wrong I was. I've since spent that money on other things and will probably be caught broke and unprepared someday at work.
I'm starting to feel lost in the hype, and while I don't doubt the blends are first class, it is alienating as a consumer to be lead on like this all the time. It's probably time for the uninitiated like myself and lonestar to just move on and forget about SG unless we luck into some.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
I just noticed that CoJ is charging 12.5% more per gram on the one pound box than on the 250g box.
One pound is approx. 453.59 grams (someone please correct me if I'm wrong).
1 lb box $73.58/453.59g = $0.16 a gram

250g box $34.86/250.00g = $0.14 a gram
It seems a bit odd to charge more per unit on a larger volume purchase because it's usually the opposite.

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
Broke down and ordered a tin of Squadron Leader to give it a go. Worst case I cellar it, and use it for trading stock in the future. Worst worst case, I love it, make it my number 1 choice, start Jones-ing for it, and can't easily buy more. :roll:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Gecko, you are going to have no problems parting with that Squadron Leader if you don't overly appreciate it yourself. I personally hold onto tobacco like that because who knows, down the road your tastes may change and your tin will have some age on it.
William, I never crunched the numbers but took for granted that it was cheaper as a bulk purchase. CoJ probably wants to make what they can off SG and I don't blame them one bit. Like I said earlier, it doesn't make a lick of sense to discount that brand no matter what the quantity ordered is. I think they are asking for a fair price and I'd order it myself only for I'm cautious about Canadian shipping...
marmal4de, La Fin du Monde sure is a beauty. 9% perfection - so smooth and flavourful, the strength is cleverly masked. Unibroue is a great brewery, I hope that they never get led astray by their Sleeman/Sapporo overlords. I can't wait to go to Quebec - I will be soused for a full 10 days on local brews. I haven't had most of the other UB brands because they are unavailable here - Maudite, Trois Pistoles etc.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I do like most of their offerings, but If I had to throw them all away save for one it would be Maudite that remained in my fridge.

duncan

Jul 28, 2010
New Jersey
But Ohin you have Alexander Keith's you should need nothing else! Man I have to plan a Family vaca up that way so I can enjoy that sweet necture again.

menckenite

Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
This thread has been hijacked by La Fin du Monde! sparroa and marmal4de convinced me to go out and get a four pack of the stuff. Thanks guys, it is a wonderful brew. I'm on my second mug and will buy this again. When I first tasted it, it remined me of a more refined/polished version of Two Hearted Ale.

morlader

Can't Leave
Mar 2, 2011
Cornwall UK
Squadron Leader is up there with my favourites and here in England it is about $17 for a 50grm tin. Samuel Gawith also sell a blend called Skiff I've not tried it yet but my guess is that it is similar to Squadron Leader.

Status
Not open for further replies.